1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lost: The Final Season (Premieres Feb. 2)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 20, 2010.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Hurley can see dead people.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

You know, after all the things we've seen on this show, a ship smashing the statue just kills my suspension of disbelief.

[/partypoopers]

- Richard's story was strangely predictable in the early going. Until Jacob beat him up, it wasn't too twisty at all. Pretty standard, really.
    - I had long thought that The Others were the descendants of the Black Rock survivors. Now . . . I'm at a loss. I hope we find out who they were originally, since we now know why they succeeded where others before them failed.
    - To be honest, what I really like to see when they tell Island Mythology is Jacob vs. the Man in Black (which I suppose is his canonical name now . . .though I hope he gets a better one as time goes on). I want to know why they fight, what their deal is, and what their rules are. Considering that we will get that episode later, tonight delivered quite satisfactorily on that front. Loved getting the reasoning for the current animosity, and I expect we'll get more in the future.
    - One thing that continually puts this show over the top for me personally is the music. I really enjoy the movie-like feel it brings to the proceedings.

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Piotr ... totally agree about the music. Been above average since the get go.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Ths show was draaaaaaaggggggging until Hurley's little coversation. Just a great scene.

I think people got their answers tonight as well. Not all, but some.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

It answered some questions, but left some others open.
    Richard/Ricardo/Ricardus was explained but not.
    My personal pet theory is that he was on island with the Black Rock, but he also skipped back and around in time as Jacob's emissary.
    That would explain why he told Jack he had been alive for so long he couldn't remember.
    That must have been one hell of a storm to take down Anubis but not gut the ship into toothpicks.
    Hurley has shown the ability to interact with dead/maybe imaginary people in the past. Being able to speak with Isabella made some sense.
    Hurley isn't a candidate to replace Jacob, he's a candidate to replace Richard.

Not the mind blowing super special reveal episode, but I suspect, much like Piotr, it is coming.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Apparently the ship we saw in the last season's finale was not the Black Rock, because that ship was approaching the island in calm scenes.

7. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

It's always reminded me a little of the old Hitchcock movie scores. Which I always found appropriate, given how heavy in the Suspense genre the show was during its first season.

I feel like I'm going to have to watch this episode again to really absorb it.

8. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

I was really excited for the episode, but ultimately not that impressed. I did, however, think the episode flowed much better than most this season, likely because it wasn't intertwining on-island action.

I thought by this point in the season I'd be saying, "Damn, I'm really happy I spent so much time watching and analyzing this show. It's really paying off and the show's really great." It just hasn't happened yet and I'm not feeling this season as much I hoped.

Maybe it's coming. Maybe it's not. Maybe, like others on this thread have said, it's just hard to give a shit about these characters anymore.

9. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

The whole Jacob-MIB scenario is shaping up to be a takeoff of the 1960 'Twilight Zone' episode entitled 'The Howling Man'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Howling_Man

10. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

No, the ship they saw in the finale was the Black Rock. Jacob told Richard he brought the ship there. The storm probably happened the night after the scene we saw last season.

11. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I LOVED THE EPISODE!

I was expecting to come on here and see people pissed off that Hurley-Ricardo-Isabella was a cheesey Ghost remake.

12. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Ho-ly s-hit.

My god. My good god. What an episode.

I don't know why this one struck a cord with me, maybe it's just because it's 3:30 a.m. and I'm half out of my mind right now but, jesus, that was an amazing, amazing episode.

In this one one-hour slice of show, we found out who Richard was, why he came to the island, how he came to the island, why he doesn't age, why he has a special relationship with Jacob, why he's always seemingly playing the middle man, how the Black Rock landed on the island, what happened to the statue, why the man in black can't leave the island, what the candidates are, what the final confrontation will be, why Jacob never showed himself to Ben and the rest of the island dudes, why the man in black was able to appear as dead folks, what Jacob's purpose is, what's happened now that Jacob is dead and why the man in black wanted to kill him.

Oh, and those are just the answers I remember.

Jesus.

That, my friends, is the type of episode you should get in a final season of this show. 2/3 Island Mythology explained, 1/3 setting up the rest of the way.

I may not have an entire grasp on what's going on here but I know one thing. I'm SO glad i hung in there.

BTW, I think the man in black is named ... get ready for this ... Jacob.

I think the two halves are really just one whole. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted