1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lost: The Final Season (Premieres Feb. 2)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Was she one of the ones that got a DUI? Did that contribute to the way they handled Michelle Rodriguez's death, too?

2. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

Libby and Ana Lucia got the DUIs, yeah (for Michelle Rodriguez, iirc she was still on some kind of probationary status from a previous DUI back in California, so it created additional legal hassles in regards to how involved that actress could be in filming).

I think the party line from the show is still that they'd always planned to kill those characters. Meh. I've watched Season 2 a fair few times and I think it's pretty clear they were setting up additional story lines with them, and their conclusion was uber-abrupt. So I think the DUI thing killed them, yeah.

I don't think the producers will ever admit this, however, so I guess the world will never know.

ETA:

I never got the point of this, either. I thought it would have some kind of payoff, especially when Kate was all freaked out about it afterward, but it seems to have kind of led nowhere.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Ben told her that he had the breakfast and the dress so she could have something nice, because "the next few weeks are going to be very unpleasant."

So basically he was trying to scare her into getting Jack to do his surgery. He just spent a while beating around the bush before getting around to it.

I liked those episodes at the time because they established more of what Dharma was doing there with the animal experiments. I liked that we saw the Others get fleshed out a little bit too. Thought the Losties flashbacks had pretty much run their course by then.

Looking back, they pretty clearly were stretching things out a bit . . . Kate's "I'm married under a different name!" flashback was largely useless other than for the presence of Nathan Fillion. Sawyer's prison flashback was good to establish that he tried to support his child.

But again, the season didn't really gain steam until the following spring. Then it was masterful.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

First clip from the new season. DEFINITELY not something to watch if you haven't read any spoilers to date and don't know what they are planning:

http://digg.com/television/Lost_Episode_6_01_Sneak_Peek

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

If it's this one:

Then it doesn't reveal anything that shouldn't have been expected.

Here's a small spoiler: only a few seconds of it is actual new footage with brand-new dialogue. Which again shows that the dudes who spread "foilers" on the Web five years ago are again enjoying holding back their baby for all of us to see at the same time.

6. RickStain

I guess I'm so immersed in spoilers I'm not clear on what non-spoiled people do and don't know. You don't think the setting of that new dialogue is pretty unexpected to non-spoiled people?

7. NDub

NDub Guest

I've never got the hint that she knows exactly who Ben is. She's smart, resourceful and probably vividly remembers the day her child was taken from her. But nothing I"ve seen leads me to believe she knows it's Ben - other than "don't trust him" or "he IS one of them." Keep in mind, she knows of The Others and has seen them for years. At this point in the storyline, the crash survivors still aren't sure who or what The Others although they've been scared a little bit by it all.

Because Young Ben was taken into The Temple for fixing/healing/whatever by Richard, who said that not only will Ben lose his innocence, but also won't remember many things before that point.

8. NDub

NDub Guest

Has anyone heard the ad on ESPN radio?

Locke: “What If I could answer for you the only question that matters?”
    Sawyer: “What question is that?”
    Locke: “Why are you on this Island?”

9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

My memory is foggy but didn't Ben directly interact with Danielle and then steal her baby? I remember the scene of Ben on the beach and Danielle sleeping but I can't remember the specifics of it.

And I guess the cleansing does sort of make sense. Hadn't put the two together.

10. RickStain

Yes.

11. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

So wouldn't she remember him/his face? I imagine if someone stole my kid and I was on a deserted island for 16 years with nothing to do but think about it, all I'd be able to do was picture his face at night.

And it's not like he was super young in the abduction scene either. He looked the same.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I guess. But it still doesn't make a lot of sense.

Draft saved Draft deleted