1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lost: The Final Season (Premieres Feb. 2)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 20, 2010.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Discussing it in the office today.
    Random observations:
    • Season 1 and Season 6 are the show. Seasons 2-5, just filler. All the sci-fi stuff, all the mysteries, just distractions from a show that was about redemption and characters.

• Lost's greatest trick wasn't getting a intelligent sci-fi show on network TV, it was getting a highly religious show on the air.

• If you watched for the mysteries, you're likely fairly pissed today.

• If you watched for the characters, you're probably in love.

Any of those seem fair?

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Jensen writes 7 pages, (part 1) of the finale. The guy can write 11 pages on a middling filler ep, but only looks to do 14 on on a two and a half hour finale? Somebody needs to check his pulse.

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

See, this was what I was talking about a while back with people complaining about what they don't know anything about.

I'm not blaming the poster but the people who are trying to compare Lost's final rating to other big finales of the past. You just can't do that. It makes no sense.

Lost was never a show for mass consumption. It was a genre-specific show that had a sometimes large but always fateful following. Shows like Seinfeld, Mash and Friends could attract large numbers because, by and large, their finales were just wrap ups of a show that even first-time viewers could tune in and enjoy.

Lost was never going to get a big rating. That misses the point entirely.

And that, coupled with the endless amounts of people who made fun of me for liking this show over the past six years, is why I fear TV audiences, by and large, are composed of idiots who can't handle anything more complicated than which psuedo-celebrity is f**king some tan guy in a club on MTV.

4. schiezainc

Thanks for the kind words. I only hope my theory makes sense after I rewatch everything at some point in the immediate future.

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

It should be pointed out that he didn't specify that it's part one of two. It could be part one of eight. :)

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Great finale and I haven't completely formulated all my thoughts on it yet. Even though I saw it coming, I loved the final shot of Jack lying down and closing his eyes (and Vincent coming to him, instead of running away as in the pilot, was pitch perfect).

I also enjoyed Kimmel pointing out to Daniel Dae Kim that Jin and boats did not mix well. Every boat he got on exploded.

7. schiezainc

I guess the one problem I have with the final shot is that, at first, I thought Jack was looking up at Oceanic 815 coming BACK to the island and crashing again. As in, everything is repeating. The consensus seems to be that that was the Ajira flight though and, as such, I'm OK with it.

Also, I really hate that they left the plane debris on the island as the credits rolled. WTF was that for?

I wish they had just zoomed in on Jack's eye, closed it, and boom, done.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

One other point ... someone earlier in the thread questioned why Ana Lucia wasn't in the church ... the fact that she was taking a $125,000 bribe to allow Sayid, Desmond and Kate to escape showed she still wasn't living a good life, thus, as Desmond said, "She's not ready, yet." You get the feeling she never will be.

9. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Are we supposed to assume the island sank with Hurley and Ben on it?

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

No. The sinking stopped once Jack put the cork back in. Hurley and Ben apparently coexisted well as Island Protectors according to the Sideways exchange at the end.

11. NDub

NDub Guest

No. Jack plugged the cork and all was well.

The Island was underwater in limbo world. It never existed.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Or that's as far as he got before realizing the show was over and went to his own personal sideways world.

Draft saved Draft deleted