1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lost: The Final Season (Premieres Feb. 2)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Okay, "moot" was probably a bit much, but the mythology certainly carries much less weight in the story resolution. It still offers decent talking points but, ultimately wasn't the key to this tale (as it looked for a long time).

BTW - Was talking to a fellow fan earlier, and I'm wondering... when Miles and Richard found Lapidas, did anyone else think for an instant that the first body floating by was Bernard? For a three-count, I thought Smocke f*cling smited Rose and Bernie anyway (until Lapidas made me realize it was sub wreckage).

@TSP - Glad to hear it. That could have been 10-Cent Beer Night writ large.

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Yeah, I've enjoyed this discussion, and there are some people out there getting it way wrong. On a national radio show I listen to, the guy was going on today about how everyone died in the original plane crash, and that's what the final shot was showing.

3. Frylock

Frylock Member

You know, the running joke has been to compare Lost to Gilligan's Island.
    But I'm not so sure the "ending" to Gilligan (actually Rescue from GI) wasn't better.
    The castaways get rescued, find that life on the mainland has changed and that in many ways what they had on the island was better. Then they all go out for a anniversary cruise and get shipwrecked on the same island.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

One of, if not the biggest shockers to me was when they mentioned in the recap before the finale that all but four scenes during the entire run were filmed in Hawaii.
    I figured there was a bunch of stuff shot in LA, Sydney and London.

5. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

OK, had to work last night so watched it this morning. Here's what i'm coming to: They all died in the plane crash. The island (and Jacob) would bring people there to work out their issues. Which the Losties did while they were on the island. They learned that they didn't have to be the people they were before the crash. The sideways world was the final step of purgatory so they came there before they all went off together. Some of them got there before others. Jack took the longest to work out his issues and John was second. Ben is still working on them. That's what Jack/John meant in the conversation about "letting go." Letting go of their stuff/issues. That's why Kate said she had been waiting for Jack for a long time.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Actually, I could have sworn it was Darrell Hammond. Rewound it to see. I thought maybe he was a big fan.

7. What makes you think they died in the original plane crash? Other than clips of the wreckage that ran over the final credits (which I don't think was supposed to imply anything), there is nothing to imply that they died in the first plane crash. Just curious your thinking on this.

8. Here is some of the best stuff I have read so far today:

Sepinwall: http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan-watching/posts/lost-the-end-see-you-in-the-other-life-brother?m=p

Doc Jensen: http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20313460_20387946,00.html

schiezainc: http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/2817399/

Ken Tucker: http://watching-tv.ew.com/2010/05/24/lost-series-finale-review/

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Agree on Schiezainic's analysis - far more to the point and digestible than Jensens.
    I was explaining the end to someone who didn't watch it religiously and felt like a total tool by the time I was done with the explanation. Which is one of the thing I liked about the show. If you faithfully watched it - you were rewarded. Kind of like the show itself.

10. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Most of Alan Dale's scenes in season five *were* shot in London, because he was appearing in the West End production of Spamalot at the time.

11. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

'Lost' Finale A Ratings Bust

On its final night 13.5 million viewers found Lost...

...it pales in comparison to previous finales of similar hype. Among them: Seinfeld (76 million), Friends (52 million) and Everybody Loves Raymond (33 million), according to the Nielsen Company. In fact, it barely out-rated some of cable’s last hurrahs, including HBO's The Sopranos and Sex and the City, which drew 12 million and 11 million, respectively.

http://blogs.forbes.com/bizblog/2010/05/24/1384/

12. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Great, great line from Jensen.

"It's funny that so many people cynically bitch about Lost not having ''a master plan'' — the Lost story is all about the folly of ''master plans.'' Anyone who has ever had a master plan on this show has failed catastrophically. Mother. Jacob. The Man In Black. Ben. Charles Widmore. Jack. Sawyer. The best we can do is live our lives with enlightened improvisation — to be so self-aware and fearless that we can live fully in the present and redeem our every moment and every human connection."

Spot on.

Draft saved Draft deleted