1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lost: The Final Season (Premieres Feb. 2)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 20, 2010.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The more I think about it, the more I like the concept, the execution, mostly the last 15 minutes felt a little flat to me.

It wasn't that it was awful or anything, just that it wasn't as good as the previous two hours and 15 minutes.

And, I've come to realize, the reason why Bernard/Rose/Faraday's mom/etc. seemed to know so much of what was going on, was that they already knew they were dead and had accepted their fates, but it gave them a knowledge of what was going to be.

I tend to believe that the alt-verse/purgatory wasn't so much a creation of the collected group, but the creation of Hurley with his Jacob powers or as Ben called, "another way." Ben was there because he was Hurley's replacement to be the light's protector. And, as a result, he could check in, but no go with them.
    It was his ultimate redemption.

And for a show that said they would create an ending that would be seamless and not have spinoffs, they sure set it up for a new series. Ben and Hurley on the island. Ben as the light's protector.

The only thing I don't get is Jack's son in purgatory. Why was he there? Was he real? Was he figment of imagination? Was it Hurley's gift to Jack to show him the way?

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Post-script info coming out. Apparently Brother/MIB/Smocke's real name was "Samuel."

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I thought they could have had Eko be the minister of the church for the last scene.

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Another kick in Cleveland's gut: The city's ABC affil lost the "Lost" feed midway through because of equipment problems, never did get it back on the air. I would imagine WEWS is just having police and fire wait in their parking lot today.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

My understanding was that Samuel was the name used in the casting notes for reference and that was it.
    But, maybe.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Unless the Globetrotters are available for a guest appearance, no way in hell.

7. NDub

NDub Guest

A couple things, Jay...

Christian told Jack that the other world was something they all created together. I'm prety sure of that.

Ben said he had a few things to take care of before he could go in. He told that to Locke and Hurley. Ben is not fully redeemed. And he shouldn't be.

Honestly, I don't remember Jack's son being there in the waiting room. Not at all. Can anyone else help us out on this?

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm going with figment for Jack's son.

9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I read someone's theory that the alt-universe was the place the castaway's souls went to resolve the biggest problems they had with their lives that the island couldn't provide.

For Jack, his biggest fear was turning into his dad. That's why in the alt-verse, he had a kid. To prove he wouldn't be that kind of father. For Sawyer, he always felt like a good guy. The alt-verse let him play out that role, to see what it was like.

For Sayid, he wanted to know what life would be like had he been with Nadia, uninterrupted, with no place crash. But, because there was no place crash, and there was no island, she lived a normal life and his time in the Republican guard as a torturer prevented them from being together. Shannon, meanwhile, knew him AFTER his evil torturer life and still chose to be with him, hence the reason Sayid was supposed to be with her and not Nadia, even though he didn't know it.

For Claire, the biggest issue she needed to come to grips with was finding a support system of people that would help her build a real family and become the mother she wasn't ready to be before 815. She was meant to find that on the island and, in the alt-verse, since the island never existed, she had no way of finding that without running into Kate/Charlie, e.t.c.

I hope that makes sense. It seems to make sense to me.

The thing I don't understand, and I guess it's because we're not going to get concrete answers, is what, exactly, was the smoke monster and what happened when he died? I get what Jacob was, he was the island's protector, a role given to Jack for about 35 minutes and to Hurley, but what was MIB?

At first, I thought he was the evil that needed to be on the island to create balance but, he's dead now, so obviously that's not the case.

It's not something that's going to ruin the show for me but I just don't understand what the big deal was about him not leaving.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'd say that's true for Charlotte and Faraday, but Miles and Lapidus should have been there.
    Miles, especially. He, Sawyer and Jin seemed pretty tight from their Dharma days. Lapidus saved everybody's ass several times. Even though they weren't on the island from day one, those two went through enough with everyone else that they could have worked them in and it wouldn't have felt out of place.

11. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I think the reason those guys weren't in the church was simple. For them, it wasn't the most important moment of their lives.

Charlotte and Faraday, as much as we'd love them to be together, either weren't meant to be or haven't discovered it in purgatory yet.

Charlotte's "most important" moments of her life probably happened before she arrived on the island via the freighter. Faraday, meanwhile, probably still has to resolve things with his mother and is there for that reason or is there to connect with Charlotte and then they'll move on together.

Miles and Lapidus, meanwhile, lived after the plane got off the island so perhaps their most important time of their lives was still ahead.

Michael, as has been said here, is probably stuck on the island because of what he did and Walt is likely not dead.

Who else are we missing?

Ana Lucia either A.) Didn't make that connection with the castaways, B.) Hasn't resolved her purgatory or C.) didn't spend the most important time of her life on the island.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Where was Eko and Walt? Vincent? Do dogs not count?

Draft saved Draft deleted