1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lost: The Final Season (Premieres Feb. 2)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Reading that quote, I so thought Ben was going to blow up the church, also. But overall, this was a decent end to a great series.
    Plus, I'm not a fan of the shows that wrap up everything in a nice little bow. That's not life.
    This show still left me with some questions. Based on this long-ass thread, it left everyone with some questions.
    That's a quality ending in my book.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Once I had a few minutes to digest the twist at the end, I was pretty happy with it. I spent two hours going "seriously, they are going to give us 'everyone lives happily ever after in the alt' and invalidate six years of drama?"

3. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

But they did not invalidate six years of drama ... they would not be in the positions to cross over together, happy, without having gone through all they did in those six seasons.

This show, and especially the finale, challenged me spiritually and intellectually in ways little else has, and that is great art.

We didn't get handed a lot of answers, but the creators allowed us guidelines within which to answer many of the questions ourselves.

Beautiful show.

4. This.

I don't think they could have ended it any other way than they did. This gave us the character-driven emotional payoff without making the past six years meaningless. The prevailing thought all along was that the Island was purgatory. But that never would have worked because then none of it would have mattered. And having it be the FlashSideways resolution was brilliant.

Of course there were a few plot holes and the answer-driven folks are undoubtedly pissed this morning. But as someone who gave up on worrying about ANSWERS! and overthinking everything, this was a spot on ending.

No matter how you look at it this show has provided fans with six years of a challenging drama that allowed us to, you know, actually use our brains. I am very thankful for that and sad to see the end, especially because there won't be another show like this. Our microwave society is going to make more CSIs and NCIS and less Lost and Wire. It's too bad.

But instead of dwelling on that, I am going to enjoy the heck out of this ending. I still have to watch Kimmel and the retrospective.

Here's to LOST!

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well, now having everyone in the church be purgatory makes more sense now why Walt isn't around. He was still alive.

Still, it's taking me a while to figure this out.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

There have been a lot of shows that have tried to recreate the Lost magic in the past few seasons, and I'm sure the networks will try to spit out more copycats, but this was special.

I remember reading in Maxim that this was a show you just had to watch before pilot even aired. I thought it was a cast of people I had never heard of before and a Hobbit. Why would I ever start watching this?

Do they dare try to tell the story of Hugo's Island in a few years?

7. 93Devil

Walt and his father needed to be there.

8. BRoth

BRoth Member

Ben got to be there and he decided/was still alive. So, the possibility was there.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I don't think Ben was still alive. I think he just still had some issues to deal with about the kind of life he lived and wasn't ready to move on.

10. NDub

NDub Guest

Ben's redemption was not complete. He was not ready to cross over. He still had to make things right with Alex and Danielle.

Walt was not there because he was a 10-year-old boy who left the Island after less than two months.

Michael was not there because he was trapped on The Island for his sins.

Miles, Faraday, Charlotte and Chesty weren't there because they didn't have the relationships with the entire group of survivors. They didn't have to survive together. There's just a special bond they didn't have, despite their relationships with our 815ers.

Penny was there because she was Desmond's true love.

11. 93Devil

If Jack's father is off The Island, Michael should be off The Island as well.

I think Miles and the others go in, but as a separate group. Faraday, Miles and Charlotte are definitely linked.

12. But Jack's father, Christian, was never actually on the Island. He was never part of the group. He was just Smokey's form before Flocke. Michael was, at one point, part of the group. He also betrayed the group at one point. He wasn't able to be redeemed because he didn't have the special bond that the others shared.

Draft saved Draft deleted