1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lost: Krzyzewski's Sense of Humour

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

One of the big reasons I voted for Obama was that I hoped he would quit fucking around with crap like this, jock-sniffing horse crap like inviting jocks to the White House, pandering bullshit that was started by Nixon and kicked into high gear by the snoozing senile gaffer Reagan.

We don't pay the President to hobnob with athletes, we pay him to do stuff like fix the economy, and we pay him to do it 24/7/365. The Presidency is the most full-time of all full-time jobs. Want time off? (Reagan's 11a.m.-4 p.m. work days) Want relaxing vacations? (GWB's 4 months a year on his ranch) Want to knock off for hours watching basketball or filling out brackets? Go get another job.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Starman, we had a President with the work habits you describe. Jimmy Carter. His administration is not widely considered a success.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Seriously, Starman?

I don't lose a wink of sleep thinking that the guy I voted for president isn't working pretty damn hard. Plus he's got a family -- is he just supposed to check out on them and return in four years?

Anyone who paid attention to the campaign knows Obama likes his hoops. He's not going to stop playing and he won't stop caring about who wins. I'm OK with it.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Starman - you must have loved the Coolidge years.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

In no small part due to treasonous collaboration between the incoming Reagan administration and the Ayatollah Khomeini.

6. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

If you actually thought Obama wouldn't be the nation's First Sports Fan after being elected, you are dumber than fucking shit. This is a guy who wore a Chicago White Sox cap when working out, threw out the first pitch after being elected to the Senate, played pickup basketball constantly on the trail, including the session with North Carolina. Regardless of whether or not he should care about sports, the idea that this was the candidate who would forsake being a sports fan is patently insane and not the least bit supported by his actions while running for office.

P.S. Somehow, I don't think the hostages are the only reason Carter is considered to be a mediocre president at best.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Last time I checked Reagan's people weren't the reason they were captured in the fist place. And I'm pretty sure they didn't set up that abortion of a rescue attempt either.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that Forrest Gump isn't your favorite movie of all time.

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Everybody needs work-life balance. It makes people more productive. It's why the French, per unit of time, are more productive than we are. Working long hours is overrated because you reach a point of diminishing returns.

10. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

There's probably a bigger problem with people posting on this board when they should be working than Obama spending a few minutes on his bracket.

... ducking.

11. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with Obama taking a few minutes to fill out a bracket. I do have a problem with the media fawning over it like it's Revealed Knowledge.

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

If any president does anything, it's news because the POTUS is a newsmaker. The reason this is getting more attention is because it was done through the hype machine that is ESPN.

Draft saved Draft deleted