1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lost: Krzyzewski's Sense of Humour

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Mar 19, 2009.

1. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

This guy can tell you:

[​IMG]

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

One of these men is a screaming, arrogant jerk. The other one won Wimbledon three times.

[​IMG]

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd wait to see the video before getting on Coach K - somebody might have asked him about the NC pick and it was K's way of responding, he might have been joking, I don't know.
    But if he wasn't - I wonder if he asked W. in Beijing if the wars were over and Bin Laden was caught.

You'd think a college basketball coach would like it when his sport gets some good pub on all the cable news shows.

VIDEO: http://mediamatters.org/countyfair/200903190004?show=1

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

But, according to W, the war was over.

5. Cubman71

Cubman71 Guest

Relax,folks.

K was joking when he said that. he was asked what he thought about Obama picking Carolina to win and his reaction to the pres. not having Duke in the Final Four.

There was nothing but laughter from the assembled press, (and yes, I was in there to see/hear it). K had that wry little grin on his face when he said it.

all in jest. well, maybe not all, but that was the context everyone in the room took it for.

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Now, now. Don't let the facts get in the way of bashing someone who finds fault with Obama.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Everyone has an opinion. Coach K is entitled to his. He's never been a humorous person. He looks humorous, but that's about it.
    I kind of think he was trying to be funny and it didn't come out that way.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If K really wants to make the point, if at some point he happens to win another NCAA title, he could very publicly turn down the invite to the White House, pointing out once again the President has more important things to do.

Did Bush hold some dog-and-pony show for the Olympic team? That would have been a good opportunity.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

For me, this thread ends right here.

10. Dry humor vexes print reporters. Sarcasm, likewise. Unless you're carrying a pig bladder and a seltzer bottle when offering your quote, don't expect them to catch it.

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

If the context was incorrect, my fault. Story didn't make it seem that way.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was at a NCAA press conference once when Coach K said something that everybody thought was funny... Damn it if I can't remember what it was, because I'm guessing it was a rare occasion.

Draft saved Draft deleted