1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lost 5/29

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, May 22, 2008.

1. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

Locke wasn't dead when Ben shot him in the grave. The bullet went through his body where his kidney had been taken out. No resurrection.
    Also, could "moving the island" mean moving it in time? After all, Ben shows up in the Sahara directly after he moves it — and that is some time in the future, I think, because he catches up with Sayid when his wound from the ice chamber is still fresh and Nadia has already been killed (i.e., after Hurley's party and who knows how much other stuff).
    And if the island has been moved in time, could that somehow prevent the boat from being blown up? I mean, they're dropping mad hints that Jin and Michael are still alive. And that could affect Faraday and his boat crew too.

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I'm pretty sure they were moving it in time -- but considering an island takes millions of years to form, and theoretically they were looking at the same physical spot, I'm not sure how that works.

Jin and Michael are dead. Michael serves no further purpose, and Jin's death is a major plot point for the rest of the show. And I read a story with the show's creators where they said they were being careful to make sure that no one could go back in time and change their own fate -- it would completely ruin any dramatic tension for anything that happened, because you'd never know if it would just be erased later.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Great episode. Since last season's finale, they just keep writing love letters to those of us who stuck around.
    A couple of thoughts/responses:

- Why would Hurley tell Walt Michael is dead? "Hey, nice to see you . . your dad blew up."
    - How is Locke a bad guy in the future? Kate didn't want to see him because he's telling everyone to return to the island. I wonder who killed him though. Maybe Widmore? The government?
    - Sun's baby can talk to Sun on the phone in that way in a considerably shorter time than five years.
    - Faraday's note "If anything goes wrong, Desmond is my constant" was explained in that very episode, as far as what constants are. I thought that was there to show that he was very aware of the time issues with the island, and knew they had met before. I don't know that they need a payoff for that.

- Thought for sure Matthew Abbadon (bald guy who put together the freighter team) was in the casket.
    - I guess Charlotte is a child of the Dharma Initiative?
    - What future bad things could be worse than "Mercenaries come to slaughter everyone"?
    - I want to think Jin's not dead. That scene was so well played, as was the great Desmond-Penny payoff.

Can't wait for the final 32 glorious episodes.

4. ArnoldBabar

Multiple hints that he came to manipulate the rest of them, and relief that he was dead. Like the Sayid-Hurley scene in the nuthouse where Hurley doesn't want to leave, but is convinced it's OK because Bentham is dead.

Maybe somewhat shorter, but keep in mind that the kid is still six months or more from even being born. My point was that they went out of their way to establish a timeline in that scene that Widmore, Sun and the child stick around for a significant amount of time.

Good call. That would make sense that she doesn't fully remember it, but Miles probably knows it from a file somewhere. I wonder if there's a very obvious redhead in the Ben childhood flashbacks?

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Babar:

I think Locke is a bad guy to them because of his love for the island, a place they do not want to return to. Not necessarily evil, but obsessed and with a different agenda than they would prefer.

If Sun's conversation with Widmore follows a similar vein as Jack and Kate's at the beginning of tonight's episode, three years is about right. The kid would certainly be able to speak to mommy.

6. ArnoldBabar

Again, my point was just that any cataclysm between Ben and Widmore is years away.

Though time and space seem to be getting progressively soft. A year from now, the season finale might take place on another planet in another dimension.

7. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I'm just saying that I think the two have a stronger connection than just "Oh, Desmond is both here and in the future". Why the building tension and the dramatic cliffhanger at the end of the best episode of the season if it was just something to say "Oh, cool."

IMHO, that episode should have ended when Desmond said "I'm perfect", so logically, if they took the time to flesh out the Faraday/Desmond connection further, it must be relevant.

Also, it looked to me that Faraday didn't even recall writing that in his book, as if he was reading it for the first time. So, yeah, I don't think it's just "He's my constant because I need one and he's in both places".

8. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

A few thoughts:

Hard to see how Faraday & co. make it anywhere on that dinghy they're in. Where, exactly, are they to go? Though it is intriguing to think of another half-dozen survivors out there to muck up the "Oceanic Six" story. But he does seem too important to just die off without even a goodbye. If the boat somehow time-traveled with the island, will he end up back on it (hence, "Desmond is my constant?")

As for Sun and Widmore, I thought the other "survivor" she was talking about is Ben. But I guess it could be Desmond. Or even Locke/Bentham. Not sure why she blames Jack, btw, for Sun's death (if she thought about it rationally). Maybe the other person she blames is Widmore, and her offer to work with him is a way to get closer to him. Or she knows Jin's still alive on a time-traveled island.

Perhaps Locke served his purpose to the island by getting the message to the six that they need to return. Then he died (was killed?). Maybe he pulls a Jack's dad upon returning, but he's dead in the real world.

"Very bad things" on the island. Sounds grim.

Desmond and Penny was great. But I imagine we've not seen the last of him, either.

Shit, what, like nine months until it's back on the air?

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

A few observations...

1. When Ben is moving the island, did you notice what they chose the mechanism to look like? Didn't it look like an old mechanism used to turn a ship?

[​IMG]

2. When the island jumps in time (15 years in the past?) the reason why it disappears is that when it re drops back into its place in time, its spot on the Earth is in a different place. This is why moving the island is so risky. It could re drop on land, but if it re drops into the ocean, then everything is safe.

This might make peoples' head hurt, but pick up a baseball and place your finger on a specific stitch. Start slowly rotating the baseball like it was the Earth, but keep your finger on the stitch.

Now, lift your finger off of the stitch but continue to rotate the baseball. Count to five (still turning) and on five place your finger back on the baseball. I'm guessing it is not on the same stitch. When the island is moved through time, it is lifted off of the Earth, just like your finger was. When the island reappears, it is placed on a different spot on the planet, just like your finger on the baseball.

3. If the island did go back into time 15 years, then maybe there will be people in place to help save Jin and Michael. Maybe.

4. I love the chess game theory. Hurley was playing chess with Mr. Echo.

5. Why does everyone have to return to the island? Will the show end with them all being shipped back into time before the plane flight? Will Jacob destroy Ben and return everyone to their previous situations?

Only nine months to wait.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm thinking the guy in the coffin is Locke's "Bad Twin".

11. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

The flash-forwards are three years in the future - Kate specifically states their timeframe early in the episode when she comes back to rail at Jack for suggesting that they go back to the island. This puts the O6 in more or less the present day - spring, 2008, since they were "rescued" in January of '05.

Devil, the mechanism to move the island is actually a Donkey Wheel. It's sort of an inside joke from Cuse and Lindelof - they've given a nickname to each season's big finale twist, and this year's was "Frozen Donkey Wheel".

Miles knows about Charlotte because he's psychic - I believe this was revealed in episode 2 of this season, "Confirmed Dead".

As always, I can't recommend Jeff Jensen's weekly reviews on EW.com enough.

12. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

Wow. Lots of stuff to read here. So much that I can't even get through it all right now. I'll have to come back to it. But I wanted to say that I'm surprised people didn't expect Locke to be in the casket. That was my guess the whole time.

Couldn't the woman who wants to see where she was born be Ben's old girlfriend? Maybe he let her off the island?

I have to tell you, I'm so completely baffled that I don't even know where to begin.

Draft saved Draft deleted