1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lost 5/15

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, May 16, 2008.

1. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

It's the best thing for the show. You run it straight through 'til March, with no repeats.
    And most of these actors were nothing before the show, so they know this is their legacy.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

The Sopranos spent two years between seasons once. With no announced plan for its finish.

And it did just fine. Lost, coming on in January, is like a welcome respite from how poor TV gets with all the new shows in the fall.

3. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

No, I agree with running it straight through. Just not sure why there needs to be so much time between seasons. I guess it is fairly production-heavy - it's not like shooting a sitcom on a sound stage - but a year is a long time to ask fans to wait and people to get excited again about a new season.

Sopranos and other pay TV is different. It's got a much smaller audience that's already made the investment in HBO. It's more of a high-end niche product and the people who like it will wait for it. There's also different profit and ratings expectations. Lost is as high-end as network TV gets, but it still needs to attract at least some casual fans.

4. This season has been awesome.

I also am liking Ben these days. Unleashing Smokey on those guys a few weeks back was so rad.

Don't you all think the Oceanic Six is a farce in that other survivors simply chose to stay on the island rather than re-enter society?

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Not sure it's a farce. I think for some reason or other these 6 are not on the island when it is 'moved'.

6. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

That's what I'm thinking, too. I'll be damned if I can reconcile how the six are going to end up in the same place, though. They're spread out all over the place right now.

7. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Well, the survivors are really broken up into three groups now. There is the group on the boat, the group at the Orchid and those at the beach.

Since the six are Jack, Kate, Sun, Aaron, Hurley, and Sayid, I don't think it's too impossible. Sun and Aaron are on the boat (if I'm not mistaken) and the other four are either at or on their way to the Orchid.

I'm thinking Jack, Kate, Hurley and Sayid will take the chopper back to the boat where they'll find the only Losties left on it (that want to leave) are Sun, Jin and Aaron. We already know Jin kicks the bucket somehow, so there's your six.

The bigger question for me is what happens to Desmond and does he finally get to meet up with Penny or not.

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Just got a chance to see it.

* One of the greatest Sawyer lines ever, when he refers to the bad guys blowing up "New Otherton."

* I'm dying to know who the other two are who supposedly survived the crash but died before the Six were rescued. And why did that have to be part of their story? Were the other two seen by someone? Did they die during the rescue?

* Somebody on the Lost boards must have figured out the significance of the names of the island they were supposedly stranded on and rescued from (as per the press conference). Anybody heard anything?

* Where the hell is Vincent the dog?

* I like how it's becoming clear why, back when they crashed, Locke was so quick to adopt the idea of destiny and his purpose on the island. We thought it was solely because he was healed, but he'd had brushes with the island all his life. It will be interesting to see how we'll view Season 1 once the whole thing has played out.

9. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Protein, man. Protein.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Weren't there a bunch of children from the plane that had been taken by the Others in Season I and II? Where are all the kids?

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I still say that it sucky mcsucks that the show won't be finished until May 2010.
    Nothing can convince me otherwise.
    Sopranos. When they went off, I quit watching and I didn't go back.
    I don't think I was the only one.
    And, I guess, I'm not just not smart enough to understand ABC's strategy on this.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'd rather wait until January and do a full season with no interruptions or repeats than start in the fall, do six episodes, take off for 2 months, then come back in the middle of the story arc for five episodes, followed by a 4-week layoff and then finish it out.

ABC is doing it this way because fans complained so much about their previous schedule. Seasons 1 and 2 included too many repeats. Season 3 had an eight episode run followed by a two month break and it lost a lot of momentum.

Then they switched to a January start this year with fewer breaks, but fans are still complaining. Fans want them to do what Fox did with '24,' start late and run straight through.

Draft saved Draft deleted