1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lost 4/24: The show's latest love letter to those who stuck with it

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

We feel badly for you . . . especially if you're in this business.

2. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I love that this whole quest for finding the island that has been seemingly ruthless on both sides is actually a gentleman's game.

Oh, and if Ben was wearing winter clothes in the Sahara Desert does that mean he can teleport, not just travel in time?

3. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

All I can say is wow ... what an episode. Just an absolute great hour of TV right there.
    I keep saying it over and over, I can't wait until it's all done so I can go back and watch every episode again with all the answers in hand and the light bulb continuously turning on over my head as I go "Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh, so THAT'S what they meant!"

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Ben is now my favorite character next to Locke. And there is no other I want to learn more about.

He was always two steps ahead of everyone, even when he was a prisoner and getting his ass kicked. Even last night, he thought he had control of the situation when he rattled off Soldier Dude's life story. Then Alex got shot, and he snapped. That scene was played so perfectly.

It's funny that he said "He changed the rules." That's something this show does every few episodes. The only fear is that it will make a major move that doesn't work, like when Alias copped out on the "Sydney was brainwashed for two years" with that wrapup that said, 'No, despite what you saw in previous episodes, she was on the side of the Angels the whole time! YAY!!!!!!!"

We still aren't sure about Rousseau, right? Never saw the boy, did we? Maybe I need to watch again.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

When did Hurly get a perm? He looked like his hair was in curlers.
    Was this the first episode filmed after the strike? Some of the characters looked different.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure he intended all along to bring Sayid into the fold and knew just the buttons to push to make Sayid want to go with him. The smirk as he walked away gives it away.

Great, great episode. Widmore and Ben are almost definitely playing a "real-life" Risk and I'm almost positive Hurley's line "Can't believe you're just giving him Australia. Australia's the key to the whole game" wasn't just a throwaway line.

7. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Thought that too when I noticed Jack's massive tattoo on his left forearm that was visible early in the episode.

8. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Or Pulp Fiction, when Marsellus Wallace is urging The Boxer to throw a fight. Some speculate if Tarantino actually painted a shadow onto Bruce Willis' face for that scene, the contrast is so stark.

9. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

No shit. Sawyer hid behind a 1-inch thick wood picnic table which apparently stopped machine gun bullets, a swing set and a light post, at different times. Lucky guy.

10. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

For those that don't like Ben, which has become by far my favorite character, all I have to say is....

"Take all the time you need."

When he said those words to Juliet a few episodes, it solidified him as a badass, and I think that rep just grows now that Widmore "changed the rules" by killing Alex.
    Why is it that I think it's almost a game between the two, but it is something that I have to see resolved, with Ben as the winner.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Amazing stuff as always.

I really suggest going to a bookstore and checking out A Wrinkle in Time.

Yes, Ben can jump through time and it also seem like space as well. He was hurt in the desert, he was fleeing something in a hurry.

How crazy will it be if Ben is a character who you root for in the end? Has there ever been a bigger character reversal?

This show is impossible to predict.

12. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

93devil, good point. I really believe last night was the first episode in reversing our opinion of Ben. Which is interesting, since this storyline has reversed my opinion of Locke. At one time, I viewed him as, yes, a loner, but a good-hearted man who just was not very social. Now, he's a crazy person destined to live his life in a tree and hoping that Jakob comes for him.

Draft saved Draft deleted