1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lost 3/5/08

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mustangj17, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Did the newspaper article Jack had specifically say the dead person was one of the O6?

2. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

No, we didn't even see the article. Jack saw a little brief in a newspaper and it made him get all upset. The assumption is that it's one of the six who died....we could all be very wrong on that. I think the producers have been very careful not to say if this person is one of the O6 or not.

3. Here is a picture of the obituary...you can ALMOST make out a last name (I think)... "..ratham"

[​IMG]

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Given the way they've portrayed the celebrity of the O6, I'm guessing if it were one of them it would have been much bigger news.

Also, we don't know for a fact that the Sayid/assassin thing with Ben occurs after the casket scene, do we? That doesn't eliminate the possibility of it being Ben.

I'm starting to get the feeling there are multiple Bens operating in different times.

5. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I believe the producers said this was just a random newspaper clipping that doesn't mean anything.

6. well, what the hell! screw them.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm afraid I'm getting that vibe too.

8. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

If you guys can make any kind of a name out of that, you've got better eyes than I.
    Body-in-casket could have been Walt, too. And neither Michael nor Walt would have been considered Oceanic Six, would they? They presumably came back before the Six were discovered.

9. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

One of the things I enjoy most about "LOST" (besides the greatness of the actual show) is coming on this board after I've watched the episode and reading all the theories people have as to what's happening and what's going to happen.
    It's a testament to the writers that we're so involved in every little detail because, unlike most shows where you can give 75 percent of your attention to it and glean everything you need to know, "LOST" requires you to go on the journey with these people and use your head and think. It lets you solve some mysteries without ever being able to solve the BIGGEST ones until the writers are ready to let you in.
    It can be frustrating, yes, I agree. But if it became really predictable, it wouldn't be any good.

In my opinion, I think Sun and Michael are the final two "Oceanic 6." I believe that, for whatever reason, it may come down to Jin OR Sun will have a chance to leave the island and Jin will give up his spot so his wife can raise their baby in civilization. In the end, they will finally be seperated, just as Sun had originally planned.
    And, yes, Michael is the secret on the boat. It's predictable, yes, but I'm going to give the writers a pass. The characters will be sufficiently shocked. And, it will be interesting to see how/why Michael ended up where he's at. Is he trying to help? Does he have sinister motives? There's so many different ways they can go with him.

And, count me among those that believe it's Michael in the coffin. Reading what you guys wrote, I just think it makes the most sense.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It was a short coffin. Why not Walt?

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I'm coming over to the Michael in the coffin view as well. His small obit is the key; it was the size of a local citizen's, not a famous Oceanic Six person.

Of course . . . . the body could be anyone. It could be one of the freighter people. All we really know is that it was someone Kate disliked, and who left no loved ones. I'm not putting much thought into the neighborhood theory, though I can't argue against it.

I still maintain it's Jin and Sun as the last two. They have to have their happy ending, right?

Something I've been thinking about, and haven't seen brought up: how do we know the Island is a benevolent thing that should be saved? There has been a lot of talk (mostly from Locke) about the island as benefactor, and as sacred place that should be saved. And maybe stuff like Dharma's experiments was ruining (or ruined) the island's eco balance, which Ben helped to try and bring back with the Dharma purge.

From the look of the Other who Ben met in the jungle after the purge (Alpert?), they may have been a band of "love the earth!" stoners who saw the island as a sacred thing. Maybe Jacob, the island's avatar, talked to Locke because Ben's more modern ways betrayed the island's ecosystem when he was supposed to lead the Others back to nature.

But now the island is simply out to survive, and Locke is its pawn. It has deserted him for now, maybe as a test or something. And how did all he Others get there, anyway? Will they have a flashback episode that is just "The Island"?

Aw, hell. I'm just throwing stuff at the wall. It will be interesting to see the show's current ideas continue to develop.

12. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

All I can say is, you guys are a heck of a lot smarter than me when it comes to this show. I've stayed with it, mostly because I've got so much time invested in it, but sometimes I really feel dumb when I come on message boards and read what others are saying/interpreting, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted