1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lost 3/5/08

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mustangj17, Mar 6, 2008.

1. rube

rube Active Member

Here's the bullshit in all of this ... I think next week's episode is the last one before another goddamn hiatus because of the strike. And all I keep hearing is that next week's is going to be the best one of the season, and one of the most shocking ever. I think that's because we'll find out that douchebag Michael (I never liked that guy) is on the boat as the inside guy.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Anyone got an idea on who the fifth and sixth member of the "Oceanic 6" are?
    Kate, Jack, Sayid, Hurley, dead guy in casket (Locke?, Sawyer?) and No. 6.

3. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Isn't Aaron one of the six?

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

We don't know.

Didn't last night's preview say we'd learn the final member of the 6?

If so, I'm betting on either Sun or Jin.

5. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I don't see how Aaron could be one of the six. He technically wasn't on the flight manifest.

6. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

I saw on Aintitcoolnews.com that there would be one more episode, then a month long break. At one point, they were considering making that episode the first one after the break, but they apparently changed their minds.

Slight SPOILER

Next episode is a Jin and Sun flashback or flash-forward. The next deals with Michael.

7. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I was vacationing in Oahu (where most of the show is filmed) last April, and went on a snorkeling trip where the word was that a nearby series of boats was for a "Lost" shoot. I took a bunch of pictures. At the first part of this season I kept watching for anything familiar (the background on the shore was a cool hydroelectric facility I was sure would play into the story).

I had forgotten about it until the end of the last episode (the 2/28 episode), where they showed the overhead shot of the freighter. That was absolutely what we were next to. Maybe there is/was supposed to be something more significant going on in that location, but I was snorkeling underneath it while it was happening.

I totally geeked out on that trip and went and found the beach where they crashed (really remote), the airfield where the Oceanic wreck is stored (out in the open but mostly under a tarp), the Tailies' beach (a Boy Scout camp), a bunch of different locations. Felt kind of silly, but it took me to really beautiful, off-the-path places.

If anyone cares, I could find some pics and post them.

8. Inky_Wretch

Arnie, get to uploading.

9. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Can't tonight, drunk after a long day of spring training. I'll work on it, though.

10. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Yeah, not Aaron. He wasn't on the plane. And I've got to think the guy in the casket was Ben (off the island somehow of his own accord) which is why no one came to the funeral.
    If as Brasky's spoiler suggests, the the next flashback/forward is Sun and Jin, they'd seem like a reasonable 5th and 6th. I guess we'll see.

One question from last night's episode. Why hasn't Locke asked Ben about his secret room? The one Sayid found. Ben, who was locked up at the time, wouldn't know they know, and hasn't mentioned it. But Locke knows about it. So why trust Ben?

11. Inky_Wretch

How did Ben get word to the therapist/Goodwin's wife?

Or was that a manifestation of the smoke monster, since we and Juliet heard the whispers before she appeared?

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

"Next week, the final two of the Oceanic Six will be Revealed!!!!'

Hmm . . .now WHO are the only characters who always have a flashback that involves both of them? WHO could that possibly be?

Sun and Jin.

Remember . . .it's not the ABC TV announcer calling them "The Oceanic Six," it's society, in the context of the show. That's why Hurley screamed it: 'I'm one of the Oceanic Six!" when he was getting arrested.

"The Oceanic Six" . . . sounds like a media creation to me. So it would be six people who can all give interviews and tell compelling stories. A Doctor, a criminal on the run but who apparently saved all their lives (as per Jack's story two weeks ago), a former lottery winner, already reasonably famous, a former Iraqi soldier - and gee, how neat that in this time of war, one of the so-called enemy worked with Americans to survive! And what a brave group of people! Man against wild, baby!

And of course, the young couple in love, about to have their first child. The husband speaks in broken English at best, which likely leads to some of those "fish out of water" moments the press loves to write. And his loving wife, who serves to translate his jokes when they talk to the media.

How charming.

Seriously . . . can't you just see the media frenzy they'll depict next season when they get off the island? That they've already depicted in some ways?

"The Oceanic Six" is very clearly a nickname the press came up with in this fictional world. Jack, Kate, Hurley, Sayid, Jin, Sun. All want off the island, none have a stronger reason than the couple who is having a baby.

And . . . . Michael's obviously the man on the boat, and I'd guess that . . . Hurley is the man in the casket. Big enough name to merit an obit, but out of society's view for long enough - thanks to being in a mental institution - that his funeral wasn't a media frenzy. He's the guy who first started telling Jack (as we saw this season) of the need to return to the island. His death triggers something in the already depressed Jack's mind, and makes him call Kate and begin to try to rectify leaving.

Yes, this show rules. This week's episode was great . .no mindfuck, except maybe the characters pulling one on each other. I want another Ben flashback. Loved the return of "mysterious Others voices in the dark jungle" in this one.

Love the Widmore angle. Widmore could have pulled the strings to get Desmond stranded there, or maybe he discovered the island because of Desmond being stranded there.

And while we're here . . . I want to know more about the dude who taught Desmond about pressing the button before leaving. Was he an Other, was he a Widmore guy? was he a Dharma employee idly going about his business no matter what, similar to the Japanese soldier who stayed in his foxhole and didn't know WWII ended decades before?

And no . . .I don't think there's going to be a revolt against Locke. There will be arguments so they can show the drama in the previews, but I don't think the writers would go to such a cheap cliche. At some point Locke will get to see Jacob again, and then we'll see.

Draft saved Draft deleted