1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lost 2/28

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Feb 28, 2008.

1. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

One interesting thing was that on the freighter and in England, it was Dec. 24. That would seem to debunk the idea that time flows slower on the island. Although there is still the issue of the two timers and the discrepancy in the times the helicopter left the island and arrived on the freighter.

2. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Yeah, I thought the same thing. Though I do remember Sayeed (I think) remarking that he was surprised it was almost Christmas already. And if they crashed in September (which they did, right?), it would probably be December by now in island time. But, the discrepancy over the helicopter flight (a 1/2 hour or so vs. a day), would suggest they'd be years behind on the island by now.
    Who knows.

3. JakeandElwood

Sayid's remark about being surprised about Christmas didn't strike as him meaning he was shocked. It was more like, well this seems right, but I've been on the island for x days and I just haven't really thought about Christmas much.

But yeah, the time on the helicopter just doesn't seem to jive with the idea that time on the island and time in the rest of the world flow at the same rate.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

http://www.timelooptheory.com/

5. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Lost cast members interview producers:
    http://www.tvguide.com/news/lost-questions-answered/080304-01

Henry Ian Cusick (Desmond): "It's 2004 on the boat. What year is it in Penny's world? What year is it when the Oceanic 6 get home?"

Lindelof: What's fundamentally interesting about all the time-jumping is that we want it to make sense when people watch the show 10 years from now. We don't want it to seem dated. So it's not really about what year it is in the outside world, it's about how many years have elapsed between the time that we're watching on the island and the flash-forwards. That's one of the fun games the audience is playing: "Gee, Aaron looks like he's about 18 months old. What does that mean, and how old was he when they got off the island?"

Cuse: There are some growth issues when you go on or off the island. But I can't say more about that.

Lindelof: You've already said enough.

6. JakeandElwood

Interesting theory, but I think there are some holes. For one, why would a person not age? Even if you are in 1996 time still passes. There were others that popped into my head, but that was the biggest.

7. Inky_Wretch

From reading that site, I gather the theory is they don't age because each time The Numbers were entered it not only reset the island's time back 108 minutes but it also reset their body clocks back by 108 minutes. As long as the clock was being reset, nobody aged. Now that the Swan station imploded, everybody on the island will start to age as normal even though the island is still in 1996.

I think.

I got a headache reading that site. Too complex for a Tuesday afternoon read.

8. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

But some people aged on the island. Like Ben. And certainly Rousseau's daughter.
    And why would the island be in 1996? It looks like the Dharma project (and therefore the resetting of numbers) was going on long before that.

9. Inky_Wretch

Yeah, that's one of the questions that made my head hurt.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

The time isn't that far off. I think they are living in the same time and day.

Example one: Desmond calls Penny on Xmas eve.
    Example two: Helicopter Pilot confirms Red Sox won the World Series. Something Jack knew before by seeing on Ben's t.v.

okay now back to my main argument....

if desmond said he wouldn't call for 8 years.... the significance of the phone call loses meaning if they get back together and live together in london and see each other before the boat race.

If you promised to call someone in eight years and then got back together with them, then re-broke up. Would you expect that phone call?

And where the f are Michael and Walt?

11. Inky_Wretch

It's a confusing theory. But from what I've read neither of those examples disprove it.

12. mannheimadler

mannheimadler Member

What about when Ben showed Juliet a video of her sister and her baby? Before they zoomed in on her sister, he had Richard hold up a newspaper that had that day's date on it. So unless he fabricated the newspaper, I still don't know how the time difference is working.

Draft saved Draft deleted