1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lost 2/28

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Giggity

Giggity Member

Interesting return to the numbers 23 and 42: "Set the machine to 2.342." Lost sure knows how to make nerds happy.

2. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

probably has nothing to do with anything, but it was interesting to mrs. funky_mountain and myself.

when desmond walks into the sick bay on the ship, he says: "i'm not here. this isn't happening."

that's a line from the radiohead song called how to disappear completely.

batman, my wife picked up on the black rock auction scene, so we went back and watched it. why is penelope's dad interested in the journal?

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Batman,

Two quick thoughts:

1. Not everyone is jumping in time ... at least not forward from the island. If they were, there would be talk about everyone having random blackouts.
    2. Rousseau didn't come on the Black Rock. IIRC, she was part of a science expedition.

4. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Might he be involved with the Faraday/Miles/Daniels-from-The-Wire group? And (eight years prior), trying to find clues as to how to get on the island.

Personally, I'm done trying to figure this stuff out in advance. At this point i"m just enjoying the magnificent ride.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Terrific episode. Almost over the top but can't wait until next week.

BTW, "A Wrinkle in Time" is a children's book in the same way "Lord of the Rings" or "Alice in Wonderland" are children's books.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

True, but I know it is taught in the sixth grade (and possibly the fifth) in my county's school district.

7. 93Devil

OK, of the characters that have died, who were their constants?

Was Charlie, Hurley's constant? Whoa.

Is why can Locke walk? Is he a constant of a previous self?

The man that died on the boat, was his constant killed?

Will the show now be based upon trying to kill Ben's constant?

If they can somehow keep up this level of writing a suprise, Lost might go down as one of the greatest TV shows ever, IMHO. Maybe the best.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I'm with STLIrish. I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it more if I don't fret over knowing what's going to happen. And this hype sort of reminds me of the "Who Shot JR" fervor surrounding Dallas back in the day.

9. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

not my find but interesting no less:

there's also a marginal slaughterhouse-five reference too ... when faraday says something about the rat "unsticking in time" similar to the "unstuck in time" condition of billy pilgrim, who like desmond, was a military guy.

10. 93Devil

IMHO, your best catch...

here's another one, someone told me this morning: kate's lawyer (real name shawn doyle) in the 2/21 episode once played a character named jack shepard in the 2000 usa network movie titled frequency.
    http://imdb.com/title/tt0186151/

in lost, jack's last name is spelled shephard, for what it's worth.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Did anyone catch that the journal for sale, the one bought by Penny's dad was owned by Tavo Hanso (SP) of the Hanso Foundation. The one artifiact left from the Black Rock boat and written by one of the people stuck on the island the first time.
    Hanso are the people behind Dharma and that leads to a whole new line. Is the money that funded Dharma based on time travel?
    Why was Ben looking like he had a 70s lesiure suit on? Maybe he was in the 70s when the picture was taken. Maybe that explains why the other guys don't look like they grow old.
    Maybe the reason why Jack wants to go back is because he thinks the island is his constant. Maybe people who are constants can't really die. Maybe that's why his dad was in the cabin when Hurley saw. Is Jack's name actually Jacob?
    Last night was huge and the teasers say that in two weeks, Sayid and Desmond meet the ship's captain and that person is a jaw-dropper.

12. Jack_Bauer24

Jack_Bauer24 New Member

I've given up on trying to figure this show out, so now I watch and enjoy the ride. I did go back and watch the episode again, and it is pretty apparent that Faraday has been jumping back and forth in time. The clues I picked up on (and I have no inkling as to what they mean in the bigger picture, but whatever...I thought it was fun):
    1. When Faraday was talking to Desmond on the phone, he told Desmond "The next time you go back, I need you to get on a train...I need you to find me."
    2. After Faraday was working on the board back in his office while Desmond was blacked out. When Desmond came to, Faraday told him the rat died. Desmond asked "How does this help me?" to which Faraday replied, "Help you? Didn't I send you here to help me?"
    3. When Desmond got caught with the satellite phone back on the ship, the helicopter pilot (forget his name) told the ship's doctor, "Faraday said he could help him." The doctor replied, "Faraday can't even help himself."
    4. After Penny picked up the phone on Dec. 24, 2004, we saw Desmond walking away from her 1996 apartment with a smile on his face and we knew he was back and OK. When Faraday was looking through his journal and read "If anything goes wrong, Desmond is my constant" he smiled, telling us that he too is now back and OK.

Again, I don't know what it all means, but I like it just the same.

Draft saved Draft deleted