1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lost 2/07/08

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So now there's a ghostwhisperer, physicist, archaeologist and drunken marine biologist/Oceanic pilot on the island? And they're looking for Benjamin? Who has a man on their ship feeding him info?

W.T.F.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Lost has had some weird shit over the years. But this seems like it's crossing into X-Files territory. Especially with the polar bear in the desert with the Dharma collar and the latest appearance of the Oceanic "lawyer". I'm intrigued to see where it's going. But, much like a yuppie wandering off the interstate into a Detroit ghetto, I'm a little nervous at the road signs.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

This is what I was afraid of when I heard that there were going to be 48 more episodes (pre-writers strike). It gets harder and harder to keep track of who's who, not to mention all the little clues.

Having said that, I'll keep watching. It is addicting.

4. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

W.T.F., indeed.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

Same here. I had the feeling watching tonight's episode that this thing is getting so big that, pardon the metaphor, it's going to be hard to bring it in for a satisfying landing.

6. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

My money is that all of those people have some kind of reason for being there. Remember, Naomi hand-picked those people for a specific reason.

The ghost boy can probably communicate with Jacob. The physicist can explain the magnetic shield underneath the Dharma station that Desmond set off/the black monster. The archaeologist can trace the island's origins. The pilot can get them there and identify who is who and why the plane went down.

Perhaps? That's my guess, at least.

7. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Flash forward: Their plane is found at the bottom of the ocean. Or is the entire island submerged?

8. John

John Well-Known Member

I suspected that meant the plane was moved into the ocean to make it look like nobody but the six survived. But I could be way, way off about that.

9. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

More theories after another wonderful episode ...

-- Each of the five team members does have a purpose to be on the island. The pilot likely wants some sense of closure because of any lingering guilt about not piloting Oceanic 815. The archaeologist is tracking down the Dharma Initiative (which has now placed polar bears on a tropical island and in the desert). The physicist, yes, is probably on board to crack the electromagnetic code that surrounds the island. And the ghostbuster is there to talk with Jacob. (I do not think he is there to talk with the black monster. More on that in a second.)

-- First thoughts after seeing the plane on the bottom of the ocean: It is some sort of ploy -- from someone, but who? -- to throw off the scent of survivors. But who would land a plane in the ocean in order to make the world think something different?

-- The more I think about it, Matthew Abaddon / Col. Daniels / Lance Reddick might really turn out to be the black monster. Or maybe not. I heard a few folks saying he might be the monster. Yeah, yeah, there are compelling reasons -- he dresses in black, he's imposing, and when he walked out the door in the mental institution, he was followed by what appeared to be a small trail of black smoke. But the monster has always protected the island. Abaddon/Daniels/Reddick, to this point, seems intent on destroying it. I think. Besides, Abaddon represented "the destroyer" in the Bible, and some Biblical scholars identified him as Satan or the Antichrist. Doesn't sound like much of a protector to me. I'm confused.

-- Ben's man on the freighter is Mikael. Has to be. The dude never dies.

-- And why do these people want Ben? What does he know? What can he do?

-- The team, coupled with the plane on the bottom of the ocean and the "covert" status of the operation onto the island reeks of a government coverup. At this point, why would the government want to make the world believe all Oceanic 815 passengers are dead?

Oh, only 46 episodes remain for us to receive all our answers.

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Hmm, I was assuming that was a flashback. If it's a flash forward, how do they report that there are no survivors when there are the Six? There could be a timeline that makes this work, I suppose.

My favorite thing about tonight is how our characters assumed the position of The Others. Suddenly it's them pointing guns suspiciously at newcomers, proclaiming it is their island, making use of the infrastructure.

11. Sly

Sly Active Member

I keep asking myself if I can do 46 more episodes of the writers expecting me to be shocked and amazed over things that will ultimately turn out to mean nothing in the whole scheme of things. But this far in, I guess I have to. Just wish it wouldn't take three more years, though. I've got things to do.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I think last night's episode sets up the rest of the season quite well...

Draft saved Draft deleted