1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Losing pitcher"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, May 3, 2009.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Yes it would. It always makes me feel better.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Hugh "Losing Pitcher" Mulcahy says this thread is 60 years too late.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Mulcahy

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Oh, I agree with you. You shouldn't let this junk consume you. But you should make an attempt to return every email, even if it's just a "thanks for reading." This is company policy at our place, and it is one area where I think the wonks have it right.

It's not good business to simply ignore your customers.

If the original poster is too thin-skinned, that sounds like a personal problem. That's why I recommend one (1) response, and be done with it.

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

We had a football parent get pissed because the coach named the positions "strong linebacker" and "weak linebacker." His kid was the weak linebacker.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think instead of using a cold, hard phrase like "losing pitcher" you could soften it thuslyand still be accurate:

Jane Doe was credited with the loss, despite scattering 32 hits and 14 walks over seven innings.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I know a certain coach who would second that opinion.

They do that five days per week. Unfortunately,once a week, some bullies from other schools show up at the park and demand they keep score.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

In certain jurisdictions, that would constitute a felony.

8. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Woefully late to the party but I can add that the NCAA seems to agree with the reader/parent who scoffs at the term losing pitcher.

Why?

During the announcement of the DIII softball field today the guy reading off the names would note that in the seven-team regionals the top-seeded teams would receive the bye and then face the "non-winning" team in the second round.

I shit you not.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

The day we started placating parents and their children's fragile self-esteem was the day the terrorists won.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I believe Will Smith said it best when he rapped "Take it from me, parents just don't understand."

Zeke nailed it. A short reply saying it's a statistical category and thanking them for reading.

11. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I just covered a softball game in which a girl threw a no-hitter and lost 1-0. Can I call her a hard-luck loser?

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Did anyone bitch about your writer misspelling "loosing" pitcher? :)

Draft saved Draft deleted