1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Losing pitcher"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, May 3, 2009.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

"Buh... buh... buh... it's damaging to the child's self-esteem...."

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Careful with the 'rulebook' excuse. What do you do when the parent gets the official scoring rules of the conference to eliminate the term? They'd do it, they really would.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Congrats to them. The national rules read this way...

4. joe king

joe king Active Member

Hey, if Tiger Woods can admit he's a loser on national TV, some damned softball pitcher can live with being called a loser, too.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I understand your concern, but this isn't the best advice to be giving the original poster. He regularly gets his belly tied up in knots over what this singular reader or that singular reader thinks. And nobody can afford that.

If you want to return every E-mail, go for it. But my point is you can't be looking over your shoulder every minute.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Maybe a nice anti-anxiety pill, such as Ativan, might work too.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Quote from the rulebook.

If she still bitches about it, drop a bag of dogshit on her front porch and light it on fire.

8. Amen.

I really wonder what these parents are trying to achieve by sheltering their kids so much. The real world doesn't give a damn about hurting your feelings (man I sound like a bitter old man).

Truthfully, the overwhelming majority of the high school athletes I have covered and interviewed were fantastic; the bitching and whining always comes from the adults who want Little Jimmy's name in the paper for the outfield assist he made in the sixth inning of a 13-1 shitfest. But when Little Jimmy makes a crucial error that costs his team the game, we best not write that because, you know, it will hurt his feelings and send him into a tailspin of depression. Sons of bitches.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Shot, if the e-mail went directly to me, I might agree with you. It was forwarded to me by the news editor. The reader thinks the news editor is my supervisor, regardless of whether she is or not. That means I have to deal with it.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

FYP.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Lord, this isn't hard.

Short reply email, saying losing pitcher is a statistical reference, thanks for reading.

Ignore any other correspondence on this point.

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

What Zeke said.

Draft saved Draft deleted