1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Losing pitcher"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, May 3, 2009.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I hear they stink, yet again.

On the subject, I use the term "losing pitcher" just to see if I can get reactions like this. I've yet to get anything -- which is a good thing.

2. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

At that point you let them make their point and tell them, tough. If that's the worst thing that happens to the kid, well, that's a pretty good life.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Not necessarily true. It could be the best athletes are in track or maybe golf. Some small high schools need everyone and there aren't any cuts.

4. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I'm surprised, and appalled, at how many people don't want to hurt the kids.

Give me a break. It's a public event. It happened. These are facts. You're not making stuff up (I hope), so just write it.

If parents get upset, screw 'em. You can't please everyone, and those who are getting upset probably won't be happy even if their son/daughter has a special tab devoted to his/her athletic accomplishments.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

They're under 18 and playing for free. I'll find something nice to say about the game if I can, and you always can, because for someone to have lost, someone else had to have won. For a pitcher to have given up a run, someone else had to have scored it.

But I'm not going to stretch that so far as to euphamize basic statistics.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

WFFW.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

What if we gave everyone ICE CREAM! Would that make it better?

8. ZummoSports

ZummoSports Member

Most of the time the parents are the only ones upset abou it.

Except for a few times, the kid could care less and was actually embarassed by the fact that Mom or Dad called.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Sounds good to me.

As much as we'd like to include a bunch of snark, that's the last thing we can afford to do with circulations declining the way they have been.

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I disagree. Return the damn email. It's the professional thing to do. Explain what "losing pitcher" means in terms of the rule book, and leave it at that. If you continue to get emails arguing back, delete THOSE.

But it's not good customer service to ignore an email just because one doesn't like what it says.

11. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

When our stringers turn in briefs that say "losing effort" or "losing pitcher," I often change it to "took the loss." That softens things, I think especially for high school. Sometimes, it just gets taken out, especially if the pitcher went the distance. Then it's pretty obvious that she/he was the losing pitcher. ...

Jane Doe took the loss, allowing three runs on three hits over two innings of relief.

12. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I just say Joe Blow did whatever the hell he did to suffer/take/whatever the loss. In a normal situation.

Now if the kid is locked in a pitcher's duel, you can say Billy Bob Pitcher took the loss despite XXXXXX. I don't think I've ever used so and so was the losing pitcher in a story. It says nothing.

Draft saved Draft deleted