1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Losing it

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Platyrhynchos, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Because you're good enough, smart enough and doggone it, people like you.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I've discovered the older you get, the more you gravitate toward just doing the basics. That's not all bad. There is such a critter as "overwriting" and I cringe at some of my earlier stories in which I strived for a Pulitzer for a fastpitch softball feature. Just save your best stuff for when it's called for. That is all.

3. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

That's a great point. What I think tends to happen for me, though, is that I become entrenched in that mode where you just do the basics more and more often, including when you need to be doing something a little extra.

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

You're going to pull out of it next week, Platy.

I can see it already. The subject matter and adrenaline will take you out of the power-dive burnout you're in right now.

At least for a while.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Dammit, you're still good enough to work at the Plain-Dealer.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not that good. Get in line, pal.

7. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Word, brother. I have to give myself pep talks all the time along that vein, because the journalism/SE combo (and believe me, being an SE only sometimes bumps up against journalism) can be a grind. I have trouble telling people what I do -- other than "I help make that, every day". And it beats digging a ditch or laying a roof. Those fuckers have real jobs. :)

rb

Draft saved Draft deleted