1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Losing a pet...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, May 28, 2008.

1. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

Sounds like they live in Gestapo-ville.

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Damn, what a shitty thing. I hope the remaining dog at least provides them some comfort.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Your family should put the aunt out of the familial grid.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Killick and BTE, I'm sorry for your losses, and I will not say what I'd do to Killick's aunt if I ran into her.

And since this is what I do when people tell us their pets die:

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

5. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Killick sorry for your loss.

Geez the rainbow bridge story gets me every time.

Thanks for posting.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

sorry for your loss BTE

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Reading the Rainbow Bridge story and playing Fleetwood Mac's
    in my head = recipe for waterworks.

8. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

SC is always great for sending that poem......sniff sniff.

So...I'm kinda curious as to what the Aunt had to say about the fact that your parents had to put the dog down....

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I don't know, but if I were them, the thing I'd say to her would be "you're out of the will." Of course, that's after I've told her to fuck off.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss. I've had several cats that I've needed to put down from ages 4 (leukemia) to 16. I have a 14-year-old one now, and I'm dreading the day he leaves me.

Any way you can visit the aunt's house and upper-deck her?

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

BTE -- Ah, sorry, man. I know after I got this news, I held my cat for a couple of hours. That new kitten's going to get a ton of love. (Got a name yet?)

SC -- Damn, is it dusty in here? Sniff! Ugh, must have something in my eye. (Thanks, I'm going to share that with my folks...)

As for an update, I just spoke with my Dad. After their insurance company wouldn't renew their policy, he checked with 14 other insurers. They wouldn't cover the house with Elle there, and giving her away to a new home wasn't an option. Each said it's too easy a dodge - give her away, take her back when the policy's signed. Only options were put her down or go without insurance. Dad's beating himself up now, because he apparently filed a claim to cover the aunt's $90 medical bill. He keeps sighing, saying the insurance company likely wouldn't even know about it if he hadn't. I told him they probably would still have, but I dunno. And they aren't speaking to the bitch aunt, haven't since she started all this shit.

12. snuffy2

snuffy2 Member

I'm sorry your folks and their dog lost a happy life together due to corporates crunching their numbers on their/your life. My next door neighbor and his wife broke their secluded style and hosted a company party (some spook NSA space agency) where their dog got excited and nipped a toddler. Fire trucks, cop cars, threatened lawsuits, many thousands of dollars of county agency ordered fencing, pens, prohibitions and probations and site visits later they were able to save their dog. I know the deep tearful long lasting pain of holding an eighteen year friend in arms while a vet administers a shot and I'll be damned if any worthless home owners policy (been through hurricanes and can say most of these policies are placebo-worthless and a waste of money- obviously it is rigged that a mortgage necessitates participation in the scam) would force a reenactment in my life. No help for your parents, but always protect your animals from sub-human 'aunt' visitors.

Draft saved Draft deleted