1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Losing a pet...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, May 28, 2008.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Sad day at the Killick parental unit's home. Five years ago, after losing a schnauzer, Abby, to cancer, my parents and sister living at home rebounded by getting a pair of schnauzers, Etta and Elle. Two sweet little pups. Etta, who is completely black, was a stand-offish one and the larger of the two. Elle, the runt of the litter, was immediately loving. Just a little attention whore, really, so eager to please and lick your face and be held.

Well, news today that they had to put Elle down. Last year, an annoying aunt was visiting, and Elle nipped her. The aunt made a huge thing of it, going to a doctor and the full nine yards, for barely a scratch that even the doc said a band-aid would have taken care of. A month later, city informs parents that because the doc was required to report bite, Elle was officially considered a vicious animal. Last month, home insurers said they wouldn't renew the policy with Elle in the house. My parents tried other companies, tried to find another home for Elle (but anywhere else, the 'vicious' tag and higher insurance rates would follow) and exhausted every path. So, at 3:45 yesterday, the vet gave her the shot.

Today, Mom's a mess, Dad is quiet, sis is red-eyed after a night of tears. Me? I wasn't home much, but still loved the pup. And I loved what she gave my parents - unconditional, playful, face-licking love.

I love animals. Likely will never have kids, live alone and can't imagine the wreck I'll be when I lose Sandy, my cat. I've been through this before, but it still sucks.

Wish I could do something, from 170 miles away, to help my family. Only thing I can offer is they still have Etta, who's grown much more affectionate over the years.

Losing a pet just bottom-line, undeniably sucks.

That's all.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sorry to hear that, dude... Losing a pet can be worse than losing a family member -- and am willing to bet it will be a long time, if ever, before the aunt is welcome in the house...

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

First of all, I'd be royally pissed at the aunt. Was there no way for her to make some calls and say she overreacted? Does she even think she did?

I had to put down my 13-year-old dog a few weeks ago. It was his time, but it tore me up. A part of me died in the vet's office that day. I can't imagine having to put down a healthy dog because of a idiotic relative.

Sorry for your family's loss.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I lost my dog after 14 years a few months back... It was absolutely brutal...

Having kids helps put it into perspective, but anyone who minimizes the loss of a pet is truly clueless...

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I am sorry for your loss.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

first of all, Killick, I am sorry for your family's loss. Anybody who has lost a pet understands how rough it is, and to have to put a healthy dog down must have been absolutely miserable.

But I'm trying to understand what happened. She was legally a vicious dog after one bite, or was there some other history with that dog? Maybe that is something different from state to state.

When I was 12 or 13, we had an Old English Sheepdog named Woody. One day, my brother and I were fighting in upstairs hallway and Woody came running. He saw my brother being attacked and apparently didn't realize it was me because he bit me on the back. As soon as I turned around and he saw who he had bitten, he turned and ran.

He didn't get me too badly, but it was enough that my mother took me to the hospital. I remember that we told the truth about what happened. But we never had any such problems with our insurance and as far as I know, Woody was never registered as vicious.

That said, I'd disown the aunt.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that.

I'd tell that annoying aunt to fuck off.

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

thanks, all. the aunt was never a fave anyway, i'm sure is even less welcome now.

oop -- yep, that kind of mystifies me, too. one bite, and the city of mansfield, ohio tags a dog as a vicious animal. two bites, and it has to be put down. this was the dog's first strike, but the insurance companies made it impossible to get insurance.

i'll tell you one thing, the remaining pup is going to get royally spoiled.

9. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Call the city and tell it the aunt bit you. Can she be labeled vicious? That seriously sucks.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that.

I lost a 14-year-old cat to cancer just last week.

But an affectionate, 1-year-old feline will have a new home when I pick her up this afternoon.

11. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

Sorry for your family's loss, Killick.

Certain laws and codes make me crazy sometimes because there are many cases where there needs to be some gray area and there's none. This sounds like a perfect example.

They always say children and animals sort of have that extra sense about people (whethere they're good hearted or mean spirited). Sounds like Elle was right about your aunt, too.

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Sorry for the loss Killick. Losing a pet does suck and its a shame that the aunt and town overreacted the way they did.
    I'm sure if your parents looked around in the right places, they could find someone to put the aunt down.

Draft saved Draft deleted