1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Los Angeles Times editorial: Our reckoning with racism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Paywalled. Their reckoning with racism apparently isn’t sufficient to warrant public view.

Liut, Batman and Slacker like this.
  3. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

My recollection is the rule is five free stories a month, so you must have read (or at least opened) five stories over the past month.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I'm sure I have. But if the paper is actually apologizing for its role in racism -- I can't tell if this refers to the Times or a more generic use of the first person plural -- the contrition is best expressed when made most widely available.

Liut likes this.
  5. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

It is about racism at The Times. There are several stories in the package, which can be found here, Our reckoning with racism

6. stix

stix Well-Known Member

Wow, that was terrific, good for The Times.

IMO, reckoning with our mistakes and finally acknowledging that the entire way this country was built was a mistake, then changing those systems for people of color, is the only thing that ultimately means anything.

The Times is taking that approach apparently. Good for them.

7. Danwriter

Danwriter Member

From the LAT's editorial:
    For at least its first 80 years, the Los Angeles Times was an institution deeply rooted in white supremacy and committed to promoting the interests of the city’s industrialists and landowners. No one embodied this aggressive, conservative ideology more than Harrison Gray Otis, the walrus-mustachioed Civil War veteran who controlled The Times from 1882 until his death in 1917.
    The modern notion that journalism’s core precepts include uncovering hard truths and exposing inequity would have been foreign to Otis and other press barons of the last Gilded Age. Far from a mission of “comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable,” his newspaper stood for the raw exercise of power, and he used it to further a naked agenda of score settling, regional boosterism, economic aggrandizement and union busting.

Could perfectly describe Fox News today.

Jesus_Muscatel likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted