1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Los Angeles is an f'ing dump

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Oct 12, 2007.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

What an ugly town. Driving on the 5 or 710 freeways, it is ugly and dirty. Go further east, it's worse. Exit off the 110 lord knows what you get.

Tagging is an absolute epidemic. Every overpass has either ugly scrawl, or it's been painted over this week before getting re-tagged this weekend. Every building off La Cienega in Culver City has it. There's tagging over the bridge at Avenue of the Stars in Century City. Long Beach. Burbank. Hollywood. The San Fernando Valley is a dump.

The oceans from Santa Monica and south are cesspools of bacteria and crud. You literally cannot go in the water the week after it rains from all the garbage run-offs.

It's happening over the years before my eyes, and it's depressing. I am embarrassed when I talk to newcomers.

The tagging is the worst eyesore, by far.

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

It's ART man, ART!

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

the razorwire is attractive, though.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Been a problem for decades. And it's everywhere in SoCal. The I.E. gets it pretty bad.

But at least there's a plethora of In-N-Out. :-\

5. John

John Well-Known Member

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Go ahead, someone say it: "Blame soccer." :mad:

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i blame fucking soccer.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

How could I forget?

That argument was 20 years ago. I am talking about the scrawl done with some sort of heavy sharpie pen. It is f'ing EVERYWHERE.

9. IU90

IU90 Member

Funny, I had the same reaction the first time I went to LA. Midwestern kids grow up with the Baywatch image of LA as beaches, sunshine and trendiness, but the 1st time I actually got there and drove around was amazed how ugly and dirty so much of the city is.

But later I went to San Diego and discovered that the LA of childhood imagery does exist, its just a couple hours south and goes by a different name.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

that's disappearing fast, too.

11. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Blame soccer, but don't blame the Australian women's soccer team. :D

(NSFW)
    http://lancemannion.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/the_matildas.jpg

As for SoCal, the Anza-Borrego State Park in spring and Big Bear in winter are fun. But yeah, the coast is pretty much ruined. I always think of that scene in Cannery Row where Doc goes down to La Jolla to collect sea critters...he's all alone until he meets some weird beach hermit guy. That sort of thing is gone with the last century.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Long Beach is my hometown, and it's still the best city in the world (even though I've been gone 15 years).

Draft saved Draft deleted