1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Los Angeles Advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by highlander, Dec 19, 2010.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

For $5 extra you can eat in the stands with Frank McCourt, but only if you bring lunch for him, too.

2. TigerVols

Cranberry,

Now you HAVE to come back to LA -- and not just for Harvelle's.

How can anyone not want to take the TMZ Tour of LA?

http://travel.usatoday.com/destinations/dispatches/post/2011/02/tmz-launches-hollywood-celebrity-tour/143025/1

;)

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

"If you quickly look down to the right you'll see the manhole cover in which Lindsay Lohan caught and broke a heel during her infamous bar-hopping spree with Britney Spears in the spring of 2004 .... Neither were wearing undergarments at the time."

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

For you LA residents, I have a choice of staying at the Mid-Wilshire hotel 3515 Wilshire or the Hollywood Hotel which is in the 1100 block of North Vermont ave. We will be doing 2 day trips one to Disneyland and one to Universal. The rest will be relaxing and taking it easy. Any advice on which location is better or how the surrounding neighborhoods are? Thanks in advance.

I could also use some advice on a sports bar that might show the NHL playoffs.

5. TigerVols

I know the neighborhoods well and:

The Hollywood Hotel is in a lousy location...I would avoid it like the plague.

The hotel at 3515 is smack in the middle of Koreatown, and right by a Metro subway stop (which is about 3 stops from Universal in one direction, and 3 stops to Downtown LA and a number of sports bars in the other) so I'd choose that one without a doubt. It's also a brief hop from the LaBrea Tar Pits and LACMA and Griffith Park Observatory -- and, for that matter, The Farmer's Market, the Grove, and Beverly Hills are all not too far away, either.

The more I think about, the more the 3515 location makes sense as one of the most centrally located affordable hotels in all of LA.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The last time I went to L.A., I stayed at a Days Inn on Vine. I booked it blind, but it turned out OK.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I stayed at one on Hollywood Blvd (called the Days Inn Hollywood) and it was fine, too. The room was nothing special (didn't even have cable TV), but it was cheap and had safe parking. Plus, the 101 freeway was less than a mile away in one direction and the Walk of Fame was less than a mile in the other direction. I think it was about 5 miles from Dodger Stadium and maybe 2 from the Sunset Strip.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

My bad, it was an Econo Lodge I stayed at, two blocks north of Melrose. Not accessible to much by foot (what is in LA?), but by car it was very centrally located.

Draft saved Draft deleted