1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Los Angeles Advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by highlander, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Border Grill and Father's Office

2. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

My favorite Italian place, a couple miles away:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/pizzicotto-los-angeles

Make sure to make a reservation and ask to be seated upstairs, where it is quieter and there is room for a small group.

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Not sure I'd take work folks there unless they were OK with the BS you have to put up with just to get into the place.

The food is off-the-charts, but what you have to go through to enjoy it isn't.

4. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Plus, you can do better on an expense account than (admittedly good) burgers and sweet potato fries.

5. maberger

maberger Member

Love chez jays but it's not your typical steakhouse, if you're thinking mortons or ruths chris. If you're willing to go east, you want dan tana's for the old school Hollywood feel, or mastros for fantastic meat.

I might give chinois on main a try. Not a steakhouse but maybe wolf gang pucks finest restaurant (although the word is his place at la live is exceptional.

6. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I don't like Chez Jay for food. Alcohol and ambience, yes, but I've never had a good meal there.

Chinois is still a good bet. Maybe you should try Giorgio Baldi. FanFUCKINGtastic:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/il-ristorante-di-giorgio-baldi-santa-monica

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

If you go to Chez Jays, just don't mention Murphy Brown.

[/too soon? ]

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I now wish I was staying another day just to eat again. Thanks everyone. I'll try to get a consensus on BOA, Chinois and Girogio Baldi. Melisse looks far too starched-white-napkin for me. I'll let you know how it works out.

9. TigerVols

Shoulda suggested the Arsenal!

10. TigerVols

If your expense account is no limit, go to CUT @ the Beverly Wilshire, AKA The Pretty Woman Hotel.

My deep-pocketed bosses say it's the best steak house in SoCal.

Although if you are staying in SM, you really can't go wrong at BOA. It's great, and it's easy for you.

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I'm going to have to get back to Santa Monica a little more often. Unfamiliar with BOA, but looks out of my price range. After you eat there, take them for a beer at Ye Olde Kings Head, it's a half block walk from BOA.

12. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I like Father's Office for drinks and maybe a snack or light meal, but it's not really a good pick for dinner. Too crowded/noisy.

Draft saved Draft deleted