1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Los Angeles Advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by highlander, Dec 19, 2010.

1. highlander

highlander Member

I will have one free day in Los Angeles on Jan. 2, that's a Sunday. Any advice on what to see and do, would be greatly appreciated. I'll have a car, so no problem there. I know I want to see Mann's Chinese Theater and would like to go to the Griffith Park Observatory. Other than that I don't know much about LA other than the place's Lucy, Ethel and Fred visited. One last thought anyone been to Pink's Hot Dogs? Are they really that good?

2. David Panian

David Panian New Member

You could go to Pasadena and check out the Rose Parade floats:

http://www.tournamentofroses.com/the-rose-parade/events/detail/post-parade-a-showcase-of-floats2

Taking a drive up the PCH (CA-1) through Malibu is definitely a good idea. You could go to Venice Beach and get your feet wet in the Pacific Ocean.

3. highlander

highlander Member

I'm going to to the Parade on Jan. 1. But that was a good idea. Going to Malibu sounds good. I bet I could find some place to eat there. I might try Pink's on New Years Eve. That could be interesting.

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

When you're done with the Hollywood sightseeing, you might consider taking Sunset Blvd. from there all the way to the beach. You'll be driving through Beverly Hills, Bel-Air, Westwood and Pacific Palisades (Riviera Country Club is on your left). When Sunset reaches Pacific Coast Highway, you're at Gladstone's. Not the greatest restaurant, but certainly the most famous. Turn right onto PCH and a few miles up the coast is Moonshadows, great restaurant. But if Mel Gibson is there, beware.
    If you want to hit Santa Monica on the way back, 3rd St. Promenade is the bomb. If you like Fish & Chips, go to Ye Olde Kings Head. It's on Santa Monica Blvd between Ocean and 2nd St., an easy walk from the Promenade.

5. highlander

highlander Member

Thanks man. I am going to print all this stuff up and take it with me. So is Pink's worth a late night trip? I heard it is worth to trip just to go there and people watch.

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

SoCalDude's Sunset Blvd. idea is a good one. Start in Hollywood and go west; it will take you past a lot of the famous clubs like the Rainbow Room, the Comedy Store and others.

As for Pink's and people watching... OK. But if you want better late-night food and the chance to see some other LA nocturnal denizens, hit Cantor's Deli on Fairfax. You'll get some interesting folks with a Bohemian flair who were probably just prowling Melrose (another destination, but that's another story).

7. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Pink's is not all that. Good people watching, not-so-good hot dogs. Lines can be very long. If you don't want to risk eating up (no pun intended) an hour or more of your day waiting in line, you might want to pass.

If you want another LA landmark that serves you better food, more quickly, here are two:

http://www.originaltommys.com/tommys_location_losangeles.php
    (LA's legendary burger shack)

http://www.philippes.com/
    (Home of the French dip sandwich)

If you're driving up Pacific Coast Highway toward Malibu -- a great idea -- here's a good and cheap place to eat:

http://www.reelinnmalibu.com/

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Rosco's Chicken and Waffles is great late-night eating.

Otherwise, I'd head to the coast; Santa Monica Pier, Muscle Beach in Venice, perhaps.

I love Malibu, too. Drive to the top of Pepperdine's campus if it's a clear day. It's quite a sight.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The PCH is great and so's driving over Kanan (as the song goes).

My best advice: Stay off the 405.

10. highlander

highlander Member

I was at a Winter Solistice party, I know that wasn't today but we had to hold it on a weekend, and the topis of Chicken and Waffles came up. I think we are going to try and hit that place for sure.

We really have nothing to do on New Year's Eve, so we will see what we can do that night.

11. maberger

maberger Member

second the reel inn; for the love of all that's holy avoid gladstone's.

consider venice beach instead of SM, especially 3rd street; see the freak show on the strand -- or what's left of it since they all have to buy permits now -- and walk up and down the strand and adjacent walk streets to see an example of Cali beach living. you might also want to give nearby abbot kinney a stroll -- neat little street with shops, restos, and hipper vibe.

you don;t say where you're staying or leaving from. maybe we can give you some suggestions based on that.

12. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Don't waste your time on Pink's. If you want to wait in line, and watch other occasionally interesting people wait in line with you, find a Best Buy anywhere in America on Thanksgiving night.

The further you get from downtown the better the beaches are, if that's your thing, but you probably don't want to blow your only day off just to go to a "better" beach. Santa Monica beach is really not bad and there's a ton of solid dining/bars/etc. easily within walking distance. Freeway access is also proximate, but do avoid the 405 if at all possible.

The Rose Parade floats are wonderful both before and after the parade. If you do choose to go to see the actual parade, it's easier to get parking/access if you go closer toward the end of the parade route, e.g. over toward Sierra Madre. You can get in and out of there in a hurry. Although last time it rained on the Rose Parade, I was over that way and it was kind of depressing to see hundreds of shivering, shivering, shivering drum majors, baton twirlers, etc., with torn-up feet striding past chilled to the bone and just fairly miserable.

Again, knowing your location will make a HUGE difference in the recommendations everyone gives you.

Draft saved Draft deleted