1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lord.......you can take me now....I've seen it all.....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Is it possible that these postal-crime committing pickles are just as good as other condiments but have simply been held back for some reason?

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Target those pickles if you must. But those pickles are fresher than your pickles. Those pickles are tastier than your pickles. And those pickles are prettier than your pickles. Yes, some might hold them back. But why?

Ace likes this.
  3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Not true. Saying they have "ONE" job is like saying a copy editor has "ONE" job...or a reporter has "ONE" job. People make mistakes...especially on stuff you are so used to doing one way all the time. Just my 2 cents.

4. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Withholding the bathroom from a kid is ridiculous. What kind of society are we living in?

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

If we really want to use your analogy, a fast food worker screwing up an order is the equivalent of a copy editor missing "Pubic meeting" in a headline or a reporter showing up to the wrong town meeting and missing a story.
    It is literally failing to do the most important aspect of your job, in this case, getting an order right.

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Thankfully, I've never worked in fast food, even as a teen.

Wendy's has how many different ways to order a burger: ketchup, mustard, lettuce, onions, pickles, mayo, tomatoes. Is that all of them? Maybe my math is wrong, but I think that's more than 5,000 various combinations, and if you add cheese to the equation, it's more than 40,000 different ways to order. What percentage of customers just get "everything" on a typical order? I assume the number is low, so I question how programmed a worker gets to be where most of the time they're just used to putting everything on an order.

schiezainc likes this.
  7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

You're right, copy editors do make mistakes like that. Just like a Wendy's worker forgets to not put mayo on my double cheeseburger. Thanks for proving my point! :D

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

One of the funniest things I have seen in our newsroom was after a columnist suggested in print that a certain beloved NASCAR driver would never win another race. Then, of course he won the Dayton 500, so the writer got a letter in the mail ... "ENJOY YOUR CROW!" with three opened packets of ketchup. His sense of humor when he opened it was priceless.

schiezainc likes this.
  9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I'm not proving your point. Your point is they should be excused for this. I call bullshit.
    If a copy editor makes a mistake like that in a headline once? OK. Fine. Things happen.
    But if it consistently happens to the point where it's impacting the ability of readers to enjoy reading the paper and they turn to other sources of news? That copy editor gon' be gone, son.

Draft saved Draft deleted