1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

loopy, the proud papa

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by shockey, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I've always enjoyed keeping up with the adventures of The King sisters in MMQB.

2. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I agree with you on this part, shockey.

3. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

If nominated for style editor I will not run, if elected I will not serve.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Perfect. You're hired.

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

My biggest issue with the column:

God damn it, I'm sick of reading this, from Celtic rubes who sleep in their throwback Bird jerseys and in the press. I know Lupica himself has written this more than once. He's Kendrick Perkins, not Bill Russell. The Lakers somehow managed to win two games in that series last year with him in the lineup and they were well on their way to the Game 6 ass-kicking when Perkins got hurt. And who the hell knows what happens in Game 7. Because the Lakers killed the Celtics on the offensive boards, it means the Celtics automatically win if Perkins played? Maybe his pathetic offense takes away from what Rasheed and Big Baby gave them that game. Could they have won? Yeah. But it's always written as a certainty.

And happy birthday to my niece Brandi, who turns 11 on Wednesday. I'm 1,500 miles away from her now but over the years she's given me 1,500 memories. Even with an asshole for a father, she's growing up into the type of kid I'll be proud to write about in a column when she's 21.

6. I'll say this about Lupica: His kids sports novels are excellent, and hugely popular among middle-school-age boys. I know -- I have one. My wife and I are constantly trying to get him off his electronic games and reading a book. The Lupica books really engage him. I've heard other parents say the same thing. No, I'm not Lupica. I've never met him. But I think anyone who can get young people reading deserves some credit -- even if he's a pompous jerk.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

I vote for pronouncing it "Loo-pay," as if he's a Spanish maid.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Back when I worked for a real newspaper that had a real Lifestyle section and a Lifestyle columnist, that columnist's family was typically the epicenter of the column.

Heck, "Marley & Me" came from a book which originated from a METRO columnist engaging his readers with the antics of his dog and family,

Nothing really new here.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't mind a columnist mentioning his family, but at least be specific or tell a funny story.

All I can tell of Loopie's kid is that he is 21 and has somehow managed to age and change his appearance in that time, based on photographic evidence.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

i expect homespun tales from 'lifestyle columnists.' not from sports columnists. i know that several folks here have said they've often read columnists who frequently mention family members/occasions. i'd love to hear which other news/political/sports columnists drop in these items like loopy does. i'd love to hear it. and no, on-line folks who get to drone on and on about anything and everything (hello, peter king) don't count.

hey, if it's really a common occurence i guess i've glossed over it during my 32 years in the biz, much of it on the road.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

That would be pretty funny, actually.

(WHO TOLD YOU?? DON'T TELL MY DAD!!)

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I always knew you were either Loopie Jr. or Katie Couric.

Draft saved Draft deleted