1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

loopy, the proud papa

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by shockey, Apr 24, 2011.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

It has to be Loopy (my pick) or Lupy. Or, I suppose, Lupey.

There's no etymological basis for Luppy.

(Even if slightly misused, I simply wanted to write "etymological.)

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I have to admit, this exact thought crossed my mind as well.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Really? Lots of us talk family and friends on a MESSAGE BOARD? Doesn't mean we do it in PRINT. Major difference.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Sorry, that's junk from Lupica. I can't ever remember another columnist giving a birthday shout-out to his kid in print.

Wanna give a shout-out for him graduating Harvard Med at the top of his class, that's at least unique. Though I still say the readers in White Plains won't give a flip.

5. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Huh? Columnists do that stuff in print all the time. I'd probably mention the Harvard Med thing, too. Where it gets silly is when it's the same thing, week after week, and the editors do nothing.

Unrelated tale here: This guy in college had a teacher in high school who ALWAYS pointed out the various crap his daughter did. So then, during college, she gets some minor traffic offense, and it shows up in the court notes in the paper. So that guy and many other classmates clipped it and sent it to the teacher in separate envelopes. I think one guy was even ballsy enough to put his name on the envelope.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Nothing wrong with writing about family in any medium, as long as it's interesting.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

One of my favorite columnists talks extensively about his kids in his daily BLOG!, but almost never in print unless it's a great story.

He could have said "finally today, happy 21 Joe" instead of the "where does the time go" mini-soliloquy. We get that.

8. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Which it rarely is.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

my bad. and my apologies...

10. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Tell it to mrbio.

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Lots of columnists do this. It's their column, so they can.

My opinion is that a columnist's kids deserve their privacy and newspapers ought to empower their copy desks as a sort of Child Protective Services to delete such references and spare the offspring from utter humiliation before their peers. Repetitive message-board threads about one's children are only slightly less egregious simply because the kid's buds are unlikely to read it and thus gang up to give Junior a wedgie.

I vote for "Loopie."

12. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Now that I can get behind. But I can only imagine the screaming that would have taken place if I had tried to yank one of those.

Draft saved Draft deleted