1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

loopy, the proud papa

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by shockey, Apr 24, 2011.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

i knew it was only a matter of time before some DICK brought this up. until now i supposed i deluded myself into beforeelieving folks here, even those who don't like when i've done it, recognize the difference between bringing up family on a web site in which some members have become friends and bringing up family in a newspaper column in which you assume ANYONE gives a crap about you beyond what your take on sports is.

but, as i said, it was only a matter of time...

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

for loopy's sake i'd hope/think people hold him to a higher standard than they do jerry springer....

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

i've always gone with 'loopey' 'cause the other would be prounounced like 'puppy,' no? and it is 'loo-picka,' no? but like 21 said, i'll adapt to any ruling by the powers that be on SportsJournalists.com. ;)

4. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

I would strongly support the "Loopy" spelling, as opposed to "Luppy," which looks like it's pronounced, "LUH-pee."

The double-O also carries with it a more whimsical feeling, almost cartoonish. It also implies that he's "a little loopy," an added bonus.

5. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Meh. People waste column space writing about their kids all the time. I call them Erma Bombeck Jrs. Almost all of them suck and should be fired.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Loopy it shall be.

I nominate Space as SJ style editor.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Dang. I jabbed Boom for years about Luppy. Made the same point about Loopy being better. Spaceman comes in and closes the deal. I'm a lousy salesman.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Makes no sense. If Luppy is pronounced 'luhpee' then why isn't Lupica pronounced 'Luhpica'??

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The world's an imperfect place.

10. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

I don't recall you doing that. But if you did, I probably just did some eye-rolling and soldiered on.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

'Lupy.'

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Shockey, you missed my point by a mile. And by now, do people rely expect much of anything out of Loo/Lup py?

Draft saved Draft deleted