1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looks like we're saying "Eff you" to Israel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printdust, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. printdust

printdust New Member

http://zaneirani.blogspot.com/2004/02/blog-post_26.html

Well maybe the biggest instigator of this controversy in the 20th century led a double life.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Number of Russians murdered from 1920-1950 > Number of Jews murdered . . . ever. Yes, they have been persecuted. Now go stand in line behind the others, please.

And one day maybe I'll hear an explanation of why that doesn't involve imaginary beings and writs from heaven that another culture simply will never accept as gospel.

Absolutely.

Also pretty pointless. If someone walks into your house and insists, "This is mine, because xx,xxx years ago . . . " it doesn't matter how many documents you have or how correct you "know" you are. You will have to fight if you want to continue living there. And to expect other allies to continue to support you in perpetuity is asking a lot and more than you will ever be able to give back in return.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The way U.S. foreign policy works is, if a minority REALLY cares about a policy, that is the policy that will be followed come hell or high water even if it is directly opposed to U.S. national interests. To wit: Our inane Cuban embargo, now going on 50 years old.
    If Israel bombed Iran this afternoon, our government would offer at least tacit and probably explicit support, even if it meant $8 a gallon gasoline and the complete vaporization of the governing party in the next election. They are that afraid of the committed minority.
    There's nothing wrong with the committed minority. The rest of us are at fault for allowing them to have their way.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I know why you lefties hate America, but why the hate for Israel, other than it being an American ally? More important, why the implicit support of a population that doesn't hide its desire to destroy an entire country?

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Do you really not see the difference between Russian and Ukranian culture? Or Basque and Spanish or Irish and English?

Now what makes Palestinian culture unique?

Race? Language? Borders? Dance? Literature?

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Disagreeing with unconditional support does not equal hate. No nation is entitled to unconditional support from any ally.

If you cannot get past that simple statement, any other discussion is pointless.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Please get off the moronic "lefties hate America" bullshit.

I love America and I certainly don't hate Israel.
    What I would like someone to tell me is why we must blindly support Israel in everything it does when we know neither side in the centuries old jihad (yes, that's what it is) will ever relent.

If the Israleis and Palestinians want to spend the rest of time waging war with each other, be my guest. There is no need for us to be involved in any manner any more.

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

That's the 2nd time someone has signed on to this, so there are now 3 of you out there, and no one has yet been willing to explain what it's supposed to mean.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Ever heard of geopolitics? Is not as simple as saying "Screw it, we're out!" Without U.S. protection, Israel is, for lack of a better term, fucked. If Hamas and its ilk got their way, the ramifications would extend throughout the world, and then America would be forced to deal with a situation that is much, much worse than the centuries-old clusterfuck that is the Middle East "peace" process.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Guy,

As a Christian, I believe there is no longer a viable concept of a homeland. There is no more Promised Land. The seal, as it stands now, is the Holy Spirit. In other words, Israel, a Jewish nation, still believes it important to maintain the land for the coming of its Messiah - in part because the Temple must be rebuilt. I think the Messiah already came.

Sorry I made that unclear. I assume people know these things, but probably think about them in a different way.

Now, as a sidenote, I should add that some Christians either are dispensationalists or go to a church that preaches dispensationalism. Most everyday Christians don't have the first friggin clue what dispensationalism is, but it accounts for some of the church's support for Israel. Under dispensational theology, one could argue it's important for the Jews to maintain some footing in Israel. I wouldn't, because even if dispensationalism is real - I think it's completely, well, ridiculous -God could just as easily restore the Jews to Israel at the anointed time.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

A lot of people are, or are told they should be. But they're playing fast and loose with teeny tiny passages in the Bible. Daniel 9:27 is a biggie; that's the one dispensationalists claim sacrifics the "seven" - Israel - for a covenant with the antichrist. That single verse apparently blots out all that Christ says about loving the enemy, and Paul says about living peaceably, so far as it is up to us.

FYI...this stuff is remarkably important in understanding why the US supports Israel. I know it seems...very odd...but if you want to know what the connection is, the need, the compulsion to protect Israel, it's the rise in dispensationalist theory.

12. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Pat Buchanan's a lefty? Learn something new every day.

Every so-called isolationist wants us out of every foreign country. Ron Paul was against Iraq because he doesn't think we should be over there at all. Not to speak for libertarians everywhere but I'm pretty sure they believe the same thing. And I'm guessing they wouldn't like being called "lefties."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.