1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looks like we're saying "Eff you" to Israel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printdust, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Not necessary, Boom, although the Catholics mistakenly struggled with that very issue.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Completely unnecessary, YankeeFan. Bethelem is little more than an extremely-out-of-the-way tourist spot and fun fact.

3. hickory_smoke

hickory_smoke Member

It's a matter of strategy. If the U.S. military feels that the current Israeli government is undermining its position across the region, including Iran, why exacerbate the situation? What's the advantage, besides some extra real estate around Jerusalem and a sop to a few of Netanyahu's coalition partners? And why insult Turkey?

I understand the incursions into the West Bank, Gaza and Lebanon over the past 10 years. It stopped terrorism within Israel's pre-1967 borders. But why insult your allies? It's not a question of settlement building or freezing it but a matter of foreign affairs.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Bethlehem has little to no Jewish or Muslim history or significance. Rachel's Tomb is nearby, but is outside of the city proper.

It was a small, unimportant town at the time of Christ's birth and still would be today, if not for it.

It's not a tourist attraction because it's not deemed a safe place to visit and -- Johnny's Souvenir Shop aside -- it's a pain in the ass to visit. You can't just take a cab or a bus there.

Americans in particular don't much visit and American Catholics are much more likely to visit Rome on a religious journey than the Holy Lands.

But if Bethlehem was safe, welcoming and easier to visit, it would see much more tourism. The quality of life for its citizens and residents would undoubtedly be better under the administration of a Christian organization than under its current leadership.

And Christians would feel safer about living there and might actually move there -- or move back there more likely -- as opposed to moving away.

Edit: Oh, and as for "out-of-the-way", it's only 6 miles from Jerusalem. It only takes a few minutes to get there.

Growing up and learning the Bible stories, I had no idea it was that close.

5. YankeeFan

You're right. It's racism & attempted genocide.

6. hickory_smoke

hickory_smoke Member

My biggest memory of Bethlehem was the different outlines of gates outside the main church. Each portal smaller than the one before it. We've been here before.

7. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

It would seem to me that better leadership is not necessarily inherent in a certain religion or ideology. I don't argue that the current leadership there is less than adequate--I've never been there, so I don't know--but who's to say that these 'Christian' organizations would not be led by corrupt individuals?

8. YankeeFan

Well, it's hard to image it being worse, more corrupt, or less economically viable than it is now.

But, if you were going to have it run by a Christian organization, you would/could have their administration overseen by the UN or some other international organization.

Safety, tourism, and economic activity would surely benefit the residents though, regardless of who was administering it.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I've always found it interesting that Christians are so ambivalent to their homeland.

10. YankeeFan

It's odd. My dad loves Rome, but has very little interest in going to the Holy Lands.

Knowing his love of history -- and his deep Catholic faith -- I just know it would blow him away.

The Vatican has done a great job of promoting Rome and the Vatican. St. Peter's & the Sistine Chapel are incredible. I'm in awe just thinking about it, but Jerusalem, Bethlehem, etc., is where it all began.

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Not a fan of the Old Testament?

12. YankeeFan

Well, where Christianity began. It was in reference to Boom's post.

Trust me, I'd love to spend more time in Israel & visit more Old Testament sites.

I went to the Western Wall, but there's a lot more I'd like to see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.