1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looks like we're not the only ones who think WWL is full of it

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by steveu, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Sarcasm.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Love the message, but the sad truth is that ESPN is the perfect candy for the masses. After too much, you get a little sick of it, but then the nausea passes and you're back for more.

Kimmel and Lebron, yukkin it up! Hip hip, Jorge!!

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

In a 1,000-channel universe, there really is no reason to stare at the screen, chewing on styrofoam.

Yet it seems as though a lot of people do it, if only for the perverse pleasure of complaining about it later.

4. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

The article lost me at it's criticism of Simmons. Simmons may be an ESPN employee, but he's also a columnist that pretty much picks and chooses his subjects.

Blaming him for the "death" of hockey is pathetic. He's paid to voice his opinion, and his opinion is that he doesn't like hockey.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Ehhh, Simmons gets what he deserves.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Except for the fact that Simmons has made several references over the years to his editors at ESPN telling him certain subjects are off-limits.

The guy would have written 10,000-words on the Internet phenomenon of "You're with me, leather" if he wasn't with TWWL.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

It was the best drama that ESPN has ever had, for whatever that's worth.

Still riddled with cliche, but very watchable.

8. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_seasonticket/2007/07/st-espns-most-a.html

9. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Why should an alleged sports channel have a "drama" show anyway? Why don't we just start printing friggin friction in the metro sections (other than the lies told by politicans, apparatchiks and lawyers that are taken on face value as truth).
    I'll take Simmons more credibly when he actually goes into the lockerroom or clubhouse, et al, to face the heat, as he trashes guys like Bob Ryan and Shaughnessy who aren't afraid to thump a guy in print and then go to the field the next day to face them in person. All those guys who have endured the BS from players, coaches, front office fucks and agents just try to get one or two quotes for a sidebar, column, notebook, whatever, and Simmons sits at home proudly proclaiming he doesn't need to go to games to write his column.
    He should go make himself useful and type in some track agate.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

True, but it really had only less than a season to find its way.. given time, it would have.
    Beats the hell out of Junction Boys

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I have learned that saying there is a problem without having a solution to back it up is worthless. It's called bitching to bitch.

Now if you bitch, but then you have a plausible solution... Well that is something different.

I will say I do like Simmons. I like him more for his pop culture than his sports. I also like that he takes the slant that he does not know these athletes personally. He is just Joe Superfan. Hey, in this age of bloggers and radio talk show guys, I can live with Simmons. I do think he needs an intern for fact checking. ESPN should be able to spring for that position.

I will also say that I grew up on ESPN. I am 37. I am part of the ESPN generation. I am also watching less and less of Sportscenter. I love PTI. Tivo it everyday, and of course I watch the games, I also really like Primetime on Sunday evenings.

So my main problem is that I do not watch Sportscenter anymore. I can only take so many hours talking aboutthe same subject.

What do I reccomend to fix it? When ESPN was coming of age, ESPN was the only place to see all the highlights of all the games. I mean George Michael only came on once a week. So if Sportscenter goes back to all highlights, then they will just replay the same highlights over and over on ESPNEWS, Baseball Tonight, NBA show and all the other shows they have. I understand that showing the same highlights on every show can be a problem.

Do they get rid of Baseball Tonight and ESPNEWS? No.

So what else was televised on ESPN when I was 12? USFL, PKA Karate and Aussie Football.

What if ESPN shortened Sportscenter and started showing the odd sports again? Premiership Soccer and Rugby I think would be great choices. CFL football and (I hate saying this) X-games type of sports would be a lot more enjoyable than The Bronx is Burning.

So that is my solution - shorten Sportscenter and drop the made-for-tv shows and show more games.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This is where ESPN can't win. When they show things like sumo wrestling, cheerleading, figure skating, World's Strongest Man and hot dog eating competitions, they get blasted for putting on stupid, non-sports related stuff nobody cares about. No matter how fun and cheesy it is. And they have put on a lot of oddball sports. Thanks to them, how much has coverage of women's basketball, college baseball and softball increased in the last 10 years?
    But there's only so many MLB, NFL and NBA games in a day. So when they show longer Sportscenters with more of these things on there -- in whatever form -- they're criticized for caving in to their business partners.

Like you, Devil, I've pretty much tuned out Sportscenter. The only time I watch it anymore is when I'm checking the crawl underneath or before bed just to see the major headlines. I'm not a big fan anymore. And they sure must be double-jointed, because they do suck their own dick a lot.
    But to be fair, in a lot of ways ESPN is in a no-win situation with regards to its programming.

Draft saved Draft deleted