1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looks like we're not the only ones who think WWL is full of it

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by steveu, Jul 14, 2007.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Excellent Newsweek article, presumably for the next issue.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19734725/site/newsweek/

2. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Real good article. ESPN made its own bed and has enjoyed for many years now laying in that bed having sex with itself over and over.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Good stuff.
    Our buds at The Big Lead have to love it. "Influential sports blogs ***"

4. chazp

chazp Active Member

(ESPN's overreliance on underqualified ex-jocks to fill its analyst ranks is a grating example.)
    I've never heard it put better. Damn, Devin Gordon nailed pretty much all ESPN's major foibles. This is a great article.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

The Newsweek article lost me when it said "Playmakers" was well-regarded.

I'll admit it was a guilty pleasure, but I didn't think it was a critical success.

6. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

If we're criticizing ESPN, why would you call it the WWL?

7. I like the first commenter's point, though.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Very well written story. I just wish there was more of it. It reads as if some editor whacked it suddenly and without much thought. It could have gone on for another 30 inches and it wouldn't have bothered me. "Like chewing on Styrofoam" is a terrific image.

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I understand that Who's Now is supposed to be a dog days filler. We put a lot of crap in our paper no one reads in July, especially since we have no pro baseball anywhere close to us.

But my God. It sucks really bad. Between Keyshaun talking about sports he's way underqualified to talk about, to Stuart Scott drooling over what women Derek Jeter has dated, to Wilbon and Herbstriet seeing their credibility take a hit by taking part in this. It is indeed like chewing on styrofoam.

11. I think the notion that Bill Simmons is "influential" is as scary a proposition as I can imagine.

12. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

That would be sarcasm, right? And a nod to their masturbatory, self-referential douchebaggery, no?

Draft saved Draft deleted