1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looks Like Susan Boyle has some competition

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Matt Foley, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Matt Foley

Matt Foley Member

for anyone who doesn't know, Susan Boyle is the 47 year old Scottish woman who blew the judges away last week on Britain's Got Talent with her show-stopping rendition of "I Dreamed a dream"

Well, its looks like she's gonna be given a run for her money by 12 year old Shaheen Jafargholi, wow.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Maybe they can kiss each other.

3. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Holy shit. Why did Simon stop the first song? Didn't sound bad to me -- at least not stop-the-music-because-the-kid-sucked bad. Gotta give the little anklebiter credit though, he kicked ass one the second one. The thing that got to me was his parents in the wings, just the look of absolute pride. Beautiful.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It looked staged to me. They had the second song already cued up and ready for him, and seconds into the first song, Simon steps in to say, "stop the music. Wrong song for you!" And then he nails the second song that just happened to be already cued up after Simon decided that he needed to do a different song?

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That's my one concern with the whole Susan Boyle thing. She looks like she has such a great story. But the cynical person in me thinks the whole thing was staged and that she had years of training and professional experience.

I hope not.

6. The Big Ragu

The more I think about it, the more that looked staged. They get a really cute kid with a killer voice and they want to manipulate it so people are talking about him. So they stage that. My initial reaction was "What is wrong?" too. It's not like the kid was butchering the first song. The audience was into it and it was too early when they stopped it for anyone to say it was all wrong. And then when Simon asked him if he did any other song, the kid didn't seem thrown enough by being put on the spot like that. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that he was coached.

7. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Already cued up? Don't think some editing was involved there? From what I understand, it's not a live show like Idol. Hell, it may be staged, but that doesn't take away from the kid's talent.

8. The Big Ragu

Killick, I didn't take anything away from his performance. To the contrary. He has a killer voice and I enjoyed it. And he's cute and has dimples, too. Which is exactly why they would want to showcase him. I'll personally be turned off if I ever find out it was unnecessarily staged to do that. If it was -- and I don't know, I just get a sense that it might have been -- they couldn't just let the kid go out and do well on his own merits (which he had). They had to try to create faux drama to try to turn it into more than it was.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

How's that pain medication treatin you...

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

An Idol-type show staged and fixed? Never!

11. The Granny

The Granny Guest

These shows will be the creative deaths of us all.

12. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

totally staged.

Draft saved Draft deleted