1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looks Like It's Official: NCAA Men's Basketball Field To Expand To 68 Teams

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Nola4520

Nola4520 Member

I certainly don't know if they are going to 96 down the line; my point was that if the NCAA eventually decided to go in that direction, having two years instead of one would give them time to work out facility issues. At least 68 is the most-workable option they had in expanding the field.

Now, we'll see if they go bottom 8 conferences for No. 16s or at-larges going for No. 12s. Personally, if you get an automatic bid, you should be in the 64, and not have to play-in. But I have read that some of the smaller schools have enjoyed being the only NCAA game of the night.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

The NCAA stressed that 68 works for all parties for now, and that the number of teams could change during the length of the contract. It's inevitable. It might take five or 10 years, but it will get to 96 someday.

3. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Am I missing something or is it tough to explain how a team that's not good enough to earn a spot in the field of 64 can win a play-in game and then be seeded ahead of a team that was already in?

Seems to me the only way this is fair is if the play-in teams are all the bottom feeders, with a few more of the big conf at large teams getting in the main bracket.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Again, here's an idea: If you can't draw 5,000 a night and can't hang within 40 points of a major program, you need to ply your craft in Division II.

Too many Bob's West By Northeast State Universities clogging up D-I.

Draft saved Draft deleted