1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looks Like It's Official: NCAA Men's Basketball Field To Expand To 68 Teams

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Apr 22, 2010.

1. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I like the idea of having the four play-in games match eight of the most borderline at-large teams for the 12 seeds. This year, it could have been something like New Mexico State vs. Illinois, UTEP vs. Ole Miss (or maybe Rhode Island), Utah State vs. Virginia Tech and Minnesota vs. Mississippi State. That would give you four very watchable games of teams from legitimate conferences that might have a chance to make some noise in the tournament, rather than just eight sad sacks playing for the right to get killed by a 1-seed. I mean, hell, there were several early-round NIT games that were better and more interesting than the NCAA play-in game and the 1-16 first-rounders.

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

You can't announce the field on Sunday and have play-in games on Monday. That's asinine. Oh, I forget, this is the NCAA we're talking about; anything is possible.

The story I read made a big point about how this new deal makes it possible for every game to be televised live for the first time. What am I missing? Every game is shown live now, albeit not on a national basis.

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Thank God it's not 96. This is kind of silly but a huge relief compared to that ridiculousness.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

No way that would work. Teams don't find out where they're headed until Sunday night. The Monday teams would have to be ready to leave for their game site within hours of finding out where they're playing.

5. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Exactly. 96 would have been disastrous. A horrible idea.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It'll probably be a quadrupleheader in Dayton on Tuesday or a doubleheader on Tuesday and Wednesday.

As for the play-in teams, agree that it should be the last eight in. If you win a conference tournament and an automatic bid, put them into the main draw.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That if you had four TVs side-by-side you could now watch everything?

I don't want to have to work the remote on the first week of the tourney. I'm really OK with one primary game plus the halftime look-ins and switches elsewhere in the second half, as long as the network keeps up with things. And 95 percent of the time they do.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

They could easily announce the 16 seeds ahead of time, if that's the way they went with it. Most of the minor conferences play their tournaments earlier than the majors anyway.

9. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I don't know why they keep doing the shitty play in games for the No. 16 seed.
    I think they'd generate more interest - and create a better field - by having the last four or eight teams out play the last four or eight teams in for the Nos. 10 or 12 seed.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm just waiting for them to expand it so every team makes the tournament so...

EVERYONE GETS ICE CREAM!!!!

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Shhhh, don't give them any ideas!!

I'll take 68 teams. 96 was tooooo much... plus I want to see how this cable/TV split shakes out.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The play in game was always in Dayton?

I had no idea.

Why?

Draft saved Draft deleted