1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looks Like It's Official: NCAA Men's Basketball Field To Expand To 68 Teams

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Apr 22, 2010.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/basketball/article_451a4eb6-4e30-11df-9114-001cc4c03286.html

I'm usually worn out by the time the championship game rolls around after 65 teams have played. And expanding it to a proposed 98 (98!!!???) teams have played seems insane to me. I know there may be another similar thread around here, but I could not find it.

Is this really necessary to find a champion?? Or, is it, as we all know (if not suspect by now) just for the $$$$$??

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

96, actually.

And of course it's about the money.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm glad that saner heads have prevailed, or maybe there was just enough of people shouting 'No' for the NCAA to get their heads out of their rears for once and listen.

I still like just having one play-in game to give the small schools the spotlight for that one night. But when the alternative was 96 teams, I'll take 68.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Welp, I called the 68 thing a while ago. Now we are going to see some much much much better matchups in 15 vs. 2 and 14 vs. 3 games

5. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

TNT (or is it TBS...?) And CBS will divide the coverage, and yeah, I figured it was about nothing but $$$, but I wonder if the group that wants academic performance thrown into the mix to keep certain schools from being able to participate in the tourney (based on graduation numbers) will have any influence on the situation (maybe some schools who get invited might not be able to play if grad rates aren't high enough...).

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

It doesn't specify where the extra teams go. I'd assume it's the worst 8 have play ins to be the 16 seeds. I'd prefer the idea that was floating around of leaving the bottom as it was & having the last 8 at large finalists (currently the last 4 in & the last 4 out) in play-in games to be the 12 seeds. People would watch those games.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see how the NCAA handles these play-in games. Right now the team that wins in Dayton has to play at a Friday-Sunday first round site - which is why the overall No. 1 doesn't always face the play-in winner. That obviously won't work with four play-in games.

I guess the simplest thing would be to play the games at the four first round sites that host the No. 1 seeds. Sucks for Dayton though.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I was clarifying the expansion was rumored to be 96 teams, not 98.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

My guess: Play two play-in games on Monday or Tuesday night (those teams play Thursday) and two more play-in games on Tuesday or Wednesday night (those teams play Friday). And they could all be in Dayton.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

This would work best if they make the last four at-large play the four lowest rated auotmatic bid conferences.

Doubleheader Monday or Tuesday, winners go to Thursday-Saturday regions. Doubleheder Tuesday or Wednesday, winners go to Friday-Sunday region. All play-in winners become No. 16 seeds and get clocked by the No. 1, but it makes the 5-12, 4-13, 3-14 better games.

Thank god they're not going to 96.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I just hope this opens the door for more mid-majors, I don't want to see 19-11 Illinois getting to play a 5 seed in the first round and a team like, New Mexico State getting bumped to be a 14 because of this.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

This will not help mid-majors at all. Three extra teams, I bet 2 out of 3, at least, are power conference 7th place.

Draft saved Draft deleted