1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looks like it's gonna be Oden...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dargan, Jun 27, 2007.

1. I figured all along it would be Oden.
    But I'll say again what I've said before: this is the logic that led Portland to take Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan.
    I don't think this will be nearly that big of a screwup, but having watched Durant twice in person, he is unreal. If I had the first pick, I'd take him.

2. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Good, I'm not alone! :D

3. Yes. We stand together (though, geographically, quite far apart).
    I just don't believe in rules about taking any certain position first in any sport. I think you take the player who best suits your needs or the one that you think is better.
    No doubt plenty think Oden is the better player. I think Durant is, but it's not because of position.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

Durrant?

Riley?

5. I think Eldridge reported Odan would be going first, but I heard his agent, Condley, said he wasn't sure.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

The bigger question is whether the Hawks will take Hartford or Wie with the third pick.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Was Sam Bowie viewed as a Patrick Ewing type player when he came out? And for that matter, did anyone see MJ becoming what he was when he came out? It's easier to see things in hindsight.

8. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

You can pretty much rest assured that no matter which player the Hawks select, it will be a bust pick. That leads me to believe they don't pick Horford. Makes too much sense.

9. Correct. Like, in hindsight, you don't always take a center over a guard.
    That's exactly my point.
    I'm not saying it's the same thing. I'm just saying these hard-and-fast rules are not always right.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Yeah, hard-and-fast rules aren't always right, I agree with that. But those rules probably wouldn't exist if there weren't some truth to them. If they always failed, people would ditch the rule and adopt another one, one that's proven to have more success.

I like Durant. Watching him tear up the Jayhawks twice last season was something else. He's probably going to score more points per season than Oden the first two seasons, no doubt about it, he will make an immediate impact. But there is something to be said about having a 7-foot center who can rebound, block shots and have a consistent presence on the other end on the block. Not every 7-foot center can do that.

Durant is by far more fun to watch, and he's probably a better fit for the Blazers right now. But Oden might be the better pro.

11. I can respect a decision to go with Oden. I know he's really going and going to get better. You seem to have given some thought to it, and that I respect.
    I just hate to hear people say, "Take the center. You always take the center." That's garbage.
    And let me add, if you've ever seen Durant up close, you have seen just how skinny he is. When he puts on some weight and has some power to go with his shooting and finesse, he will be NBA incredible instead of just college incredible.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

And that's the only thing that scares me about Durant, who couldn't bench 185 pounds once. That said, given how he wowed both the Blazers and Sonics in his workouts, I take it they're not too concerned about it, so neither should anyone else.

Draft saved Draft deleted