1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking to place an Indianapolis 500 story

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help available' started by biggy0125, May 8, 2012.

1. biggy0125

biggy0125 Member

I'm going to be at the Indy 500 at the end of the month and I was hoping to find placement on a story I plan on doing. I've been in contact with some auto racing magazines who are interested, but I'd really like to write it from a more humorous angle and I don't know any of the publications I've talked with are suited for it.

What sort of other publications would anyone suggest for humorous sports stories? The premise is that I'll be spending the weekend with the general admissions ticket people and the infield campers (the perpetually hammered ones) for the weekend, and focusing on the party atmosphere. Originally, I had wanted to do this for the Kentucky Derby, but I had a scheduling conflict.

I'm already doing a feature for the daily I write for, and a race feature for the website, but they're both supposed to be short pieces so I should have plenty of time to do this story and freelance it out. However, I'm not exactly sure where something like this would fit. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Also, I realize that this is short notice, but I was tied up with another assignment and didn't book this trip until recently.

Draft saved Draft deleted