1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking to buy a GPS

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Webster, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I purchased a TomTom One recently. I was looking for the same things you were looking for, Webster. My wife needs it for, well, anything. I occassionally need to travel for work and found that it would be very helpful.

I punch in addresses or cross streets and things seem to work out just fine.

The unit isn't perfect as there are streets that could be under construction and thus closed or streets that have recently come into existence (like one in my town) which ultimately doesn't show up. It isn't a big deal on the construction, as I just turn and it will adjust automatically. It is a bit funny when it looks like I'm driving off the map and I'm really just driving on a road that is fairly recent (in fairness the road isn't even available on Mapquest).

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Go east over yonder, turn right at the big pine with the knot in it...

3. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

After you enter in your destination there's a button called 'add waypoint.' I bought the cheapest GPS I could find (mio c220) and it has every 7-11 in its database. I paid 200 about six months ago but I've seen it advertised for 150 recently.

I'm very good with directions and such, but just about every time I visit a foreign city I'll miss a turn, curse a lot, then drive around in circles. So for me the GPS isn't so much to tell me how to get from point a to point b, but to adapt to a closed road or my impulse to get white castle or something.

4. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Consumer Reports' website has recently had some listings of good GPS units and where to find good deals on them.

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/

5. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Geez, Slappy. Everyone knows you turn left at the knotty pine.

Draft saved Draft deleted