1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking to buy a GPS

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Webster, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

After forgetting my Google Maps directions and getting lost in Elizabeth, NJ last week looking for the DMV, I've decided to invest in a GPS. Thing is, I don't need one that I can take to foreign countries or which can tell me the location of the nearest pizza place. I just want one which allows me to get from place to place, stores addresses, tells me when I have to turn, hopefully is portable and won't be obsolete in 3 months.

Any thoughts?

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It's an electronic device. It'll be obsolete in three months no matter what.

That said, a buddy who's a reporter in Boston swears by his Garmin Streetpilot c330. You should find it around $220.

I just use my eTrex Vista with street or topo maps loaded into depending on where I'm heading. But it's a handheld and doesn't do turn-by-turn navigation.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Can't find it in the archives right now, but earlier this year the Ledger did a story comparing three GPS systems, asking each one to navigate the mess of roads in the Newark/Elizabeth area from one destination to another. All three systems they put to the task performed well.

I would get whichever one is the easiest one to get updates for (do you have to connect to the web to download the road updates to it or can it do it itself wirelessly)

4. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Just got a Garmin Nuvi and I love it.

5. markvid

markvid Guest

I have a Garmin c330.
    I was ready to throw it out the window trying to get gas near the Philly airport a couple of weeks ago.

6. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I rented a Garmin (sorry, don't remember model number) with a car rental a couple weeks ago. The thing was useless. I got stuck in traffic, but it thought I was 10 miles up the road. Fortunately, I got my money back for the GPS rental.

Give me a map every time.[/oldschool]

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Ok, dumb question.

Do you have to hardwire them or can you plug them into your lighter?

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Either way, JR. Just depends on the owner.

No matter how it's powered, you can undo the plug from the GPS unit and stash it in the glove box when you're parked.

9. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Mine has a battery with a lighter plug-in cord.

Funny thing about me getting a GPS? I very rarely get lost, I have a very good sense of direction.

10. markvid

markvid Guest

Actually, I have found with mine I can go 7-8 hours, so you don't necessarily need a charger while driving.
    I just charge mine at home, and carry a lighter plug if needed.

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I need one of these so badly it's disgusting, but I'm afraid because if it DOESN'T work, then I'm twice as lost. I have such a bad sense of direction I've gotten lost in parking lots and in malls.

12. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

My wife has a Garmin. We took it to Reno last summer and it worked fine. On the way home, we were on 80 heading west toward Sacramento to catch the 5 south. Nearing Sacramento, it still said that we had 48 miles to go on 80. I was freaking, because I'm vaguely familiar with NoCal, I had no idea where it was sending us. 5 is absolutely the fastest route between NoCal and SoCal. When I saw the sign to the 5, I decided to screw Garmin and take it. It was the right move.
    Later on, I was with a friend who used to live in Sacramento. I told him about this and asked of he had any idea where Garmin was sending us. He said that some of these GPS companies contract with advertisers and might send you in a certain direction so you'll drive past a prominent restaurant or or shopping center or billboard.
    Anybody else ever heard of this???

Draft saved Draft deleted