1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking to buy a DVR

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pressboxer, Jul 12, 2008.

1. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I feel your pain WB. My DTV w/ Tivo receiver has been spot on perfect for 7 years and the 2nd tuner just kicked it. I'm going to ship it to Weaknees to have it fixed (www.weaknees.com) hopefully tomorrow.

2. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

What he said. Arnold talked me into getting a TiVo more than five years ago, and it's one of the best purchases I've ever made. (That box is still in use with the spare room TV; we have a Series 3 now in the living room.) The box you can get from your cable company is adequate, but it's TiVo's retarded cousin. We've had friends of ours who have the cable DVR at home come over and decide to buy their own TiVo after seeing how much better ours worked.

3. duckncover

duckncover Member

Tivo is absolutely the only way to go. I couldn't stand the Comcast-provided box. Sucked bad.

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I bought a DVR at Best Buy which functions like a VCR. I'm very pleased with it, especially spending the extra to get a hard drive. We just record whatever we want on the hard drive and, if we want to save or share it, we burn it onto a disc. It's not live TiVo, obviously but it was much less expensive than the alternatives available and since we need to have a DVD player anyway, it made sense.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The DVR from Dish Network (sat) is pretty damn good. Can record off two channels at the same time and watch another one that's already been recorded. Or watch one and record on another.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Anyone with Tivo, I have a question:

I've noticed in the past couple months, my Tivo will automatically skip back 30 minutes when I'm watching live TV. I won't even have touched my controller, and suddenly I'm hearing things I already heard. Worse, it does it when I'm not home, so I come home and turn on my TV and have no idea I'm 30 minutes behind, so I might miss changing the channel to see something I wanted to watch that's not on my season pass list.

Anyone else have this problem? or any ideas of how to fix it?

7. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I've never had that happen before. You might want to check out the forums at tivocommunity.com to see if they can help.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Sounds like it is reaching the end.

I would go with the unit Comcast or DirecTV (what I have) has to offer. I actually have a Tivo from 2000 sitting in a box in a closet. It is not worth the service fee to throw it on a second TV.

9. imjustagirl

My Tivo is at most two years old. They really only last that long?

10. 93Devil

It should last longer.

Do you have a warranty on it?

11. imjustagirl

Hell if I know. I'll call them some other day.

12. 93Devil

Did you get it from Best Buy?

Draft saved Draft deleted