1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking into the offseason: Dirk Nowitzki for Kevin Garnett?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by printdust, May 4, 2007.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

Change of pace helping both? Would you do it?

2. RokSki

RokSki New Member

How old is KG now? 30?

It's interesting. I don't think there's very much chance KG is going to LA.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

This hypothetical trade has been discussed for years (I broached it on the NBA thread, in fact.)

I'd rather keep Dirk and find a real Batman to play alongside Dirk's Robin.

Dirk = Pippen. A great player but not one who will lead a team to a title by himself.

KG is 31, Dirk turns 29 in June.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Not sure if I'd go for that trade if I'm the Mavs. What would be in it for them?

5. printdust

printdust New Member

Guts?

Defense?

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

KG is a very very OLD 31. He's played in about 300 more NBA games and 14,000 more muinutes than Dirk.

7. RokSki

RokSki New Member

As much hell as Dirk is getting, and will get, it's not like he's done. I mean, I'm messing with him and he's getting the whole 'he's so soft' stuff, but he's still a top-5 player, no doubt. This is their second year at a supposed 'elite' level, and they didn't get it done. Ok, go back to work. Add some more Stackhouses, except that type of guy in the middle who can be a real enforcer for Dirk and the rest.

But Dirk does have to continue to work on handling contact better, IMO. He has improved, but when 'Zo put him on his ass in last year's Finals (game 3?), he totally went into a shell, IMO. Just have to go back to work until you burst through the barrier.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yeah, because KG has proven to be such a winner in the playoffs.

Has he even won a series?

9. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Wow, that's a lot of minutes. No way I'd make that trade given that info, unless Dallas feels they MUST win in the next year or two to validate what they've done. I'd only make it if I felt really desperate to win right away; there's no doubt that KG is hungry. Although, that doesn't guarantee victories.

Biggest problem with KG is he's too slight to really be a force in the blocks. I love his energy and mentality, but his body type only lets him do so much in the blocks on offense, IMO

10. printdust

printdust New Member

As I suggested spirited, maybe a change of scenery would do them good. It will be a tough, tough year for Dirk in D. And with his showing the past 2 weeks, his chances of withstanding it aren't good.

11. printdust

printdust New Member

But Rok, do you think Dirk will be better in three years? I think he's reached his peak.

12. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

It would be better to keep Nowitzki than trade him for Garnett.

Draft saved Draft deleted