1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking into buying/leasing a car

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boobie Miles, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Maybe so, but you can pretty much bet the low-wage guys in the Volkswagen service department know how to handle them.

I wonder if the guys I've been going to for my vehicle for more than 15 years know how to get around this. It helps that the local Volkswagen dealership in that city is dumb beyond description ...

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

A tree fell on my Dodge recently (woohoo! it was dying anyway and I hated it...the car, not the tree) and I bought a 2005 Ford Taurus program car with low miles. So far, so good.

First dealer I tried to haggle with wouldn't budge on a Taurus price, so he tried to turn me onto leasing a Ford Fusion that was $10k more than the Taurus. He argued that the payments would be less (in a 3-year lease vs. 3-year loan) and that after three years, yeehaw, I could get a new car under another lease.

Nope, I said, not falling for that. With every car my wife and I have bought (always used cars, never new) we have made extra payments to get it paid off and then enjoyed at least a couple years of payment-less life before necessity kicked in again (or falling trees). I'd love a new car every three years, but I love the payment-less years more.

We have always bought used American cars too. They depreciate fast, which is good if you want to buy them used and drive them into the ground.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Second that.

Mobil1 Castrol Syntec is the shit, by the way. Drivers who absolutely insist on going forever between oil changes shouldn't be using anything other than synthetic oil.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Writing_Irish: My sister and her husband bought a car from carmax and said it was a really slick option. If I hadn't moved I was going to buy through them as well. It is a pretty solid Web site and they will give you any car you want because they will ship them across the country.

I just bought a new car and didn't put enough effort into it so I am getting hosed on payments, but you live and learn.
    It is a Dodge Caliber and I love it. It is like the Outback in the sense that you can carry stuff in it because of the hatchback, but it is unlike the Outback because it gets 27 mpg in city and I've gotten up to 39 mpg on the highway. Also, it is cheaper than the Outback, though since it is in its first year it would obviously be hard to find a used version.

5. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Thanks a lot guys for the input, I'm embarrassingly ignorant when it comes to cars for a dude, but that's what you're all for. I'm definitely leaning towards a Civic or Corolla, so now I'm going to do some research to find the best deal. Might be a little bit longer til I have enough dough saved up, but I'll update when I make the purchase.

6. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Dang, the Caliber sounds pretty good, Angola. I'd like to have a domestic over an import. A new car is probably out of my budget, but I'll see what's up in any case. Who knows...it's a buyers' market these days in the world of wheels.

Draft saved Draft deleted