1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking into buying/leasing a car

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boobie Miles, Jan 3, 2007.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

We just bought (well, this summer) our third with cash. Did it the simple way. Drove a less expensive car, saved a few grand, and traded up. It took us a couple of times to get the vehicle we wanted.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Given the four-door sedan request - as well as little money - I'll echo the Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla ideas ... Nissan Sentra (just make sure to have the oil changed and vehicle maintenance done more often than IJAG).

Look used ... bad news is their value holds well, meaning you'll pay a little more now. But there's a reason those types of vehicles hold their value and you'll almost certainly pay less later.

Disagree with the Mazda endorsement, especially now that the underpinnings are Ford. Yeah, the Mazda 6 (your target, a small four-door sedan) looks nice and the critics are raving over the Mazdaspeed 3, but I seriously question either vehicle's long-term viability.

Good luck ... aside from the inevitable cheap jokes, keep us up to date.

3. Sam Mills 51

Not surprised in the least ... bulletproof, mechanically dependable cars with strong reps hold their value.

4. three_bags_full

The only import I've owned was a Toyota pickup while I was in high school. Since, we've only driven American vehicles. Not because we're romantic like that, but imports haven't appealed to me when I've been buying.

5. Sam Mills 51

Word. Those guys are the best thing on Public Radio. Hands down.

I'd look at the Outback/Forrester as well given your parameters. My mother's looking at one, probably because the family is pondering a major move in the next few months combined with the fact that it will be in an area where that type of vehicle is much more useful. She had three SUVs, each the worst pieces of crap on the planet. For a well-educated woman, her choice of vehicles is mystifying to be kind.

The only drawback with Subarus is they can be quirky to have serviced, but that shouldn't be enough of a deterrent to buy them. Outstanding, underrated vehicles.

6. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Thanks for the thoughts, all. :)

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I've had two Pontiacs in eight years. A 98 Grand Am that I drove for four years which I drove about 100,000 miles. I traded that in for my current car an 02 Grand Prix, which I've driven about 70,000 miles. Got both of them used -- they were program cars -- for about 60 percent of a new car price.

I'll probably buy a newer car sometime this year. While I'm not beholden to Pontiacs, I'll definitely give them a look. Though I'd love to get a Passat or Rendezvous.

8. three_bags_full

My mother just bought a Volkswagon, and none of the JiffyLube joints will change the oil. They have to take it back to the dealership each time.

9. three_bags_full

I hope you're a chick.

10. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I usually try to avoid stereotyping when it comes to gender and sexuality.
    But when I see a dude driving a new-generation VW Beetle I think: You're totally gay.

11. Sam Mills 51

I'd also heard something about the mechanics/diagnostics that's making it more difficult to avoid the dealers. All that means is the competition will be looking to see if it can duplicate. There's not a service department at any dealership that won't seek a spike in this niche of the market. They'll hire a couple more kids at minimum wage to change oil and filters.

12. three_bags_full

Apparently the oil system has some type of cartridge that the minimum wage joints won't touch.

Draft saved Draft deleted