1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking into buying/leasing a car

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boobie Miles, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Never owned a car even remotely close to new, so looking for some advice. First, lease or buy? And second, save me some time looking all this stuff up on my own and give me some suggestions on what type of cars are good bang for your buck (sarcastic suggestions are welcomed as long as they're funny)...I'm sure there are pros and cons based on your situation so let me explain mine: Won't put a ton of miles on the car going to work or to cover events, but am on the highway enough to put some miles on it. I'm just starting out in the business (read: I'm broke). I'm not necessarily looking for a brand new car or the flashiest thing, but I just want something more reliable than my current shitbox. Most likely looking into a 4-door sedan. Any help, much appreciated.

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

We've had similar discussions before, but here's my take:

1. Don't lease, unless you have a business deal where you get a car allowance. Leasing is an expensive way to drive a car (you're just paying the interest, and get nothing out of it when it's done.)

2. Most reliable cars out there are Toyota Corollas and Honda Civics. If you can find one a couple years old with low mileage, buy it. Those suckers will last 200,000 miles easy.

3. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Can't go wrong with Honda. I know a lot of people that have/had them and haven't heard a bad word spoken about them.

4. Garner

Garner Member

1) Do not buy a 1976 Chrysler station wagon. A buddy of mine (lets call him Jim) had a beige one in high school, affectionately termed the "Lesbian Seagull." He even put a PA system under the hood so we could yell at people without rolling the windows down. We passed an elementary school one day and Jim started encouraging the children to drop out of school and become sandwich artists. Kids started spitting on the car and chasing after us. It was kinda scary, since the thing had a top speed of 24 mph. Once we were heading to lunch with 8 guys packed into that thing and a bee flew into the backseat. One of the guys freaked out, jumped out of the car and kicked a large foot-shaped dent in the rear panel that probably remains to this day.

2) Go with a Honda Civic. It's great on gas, you'll never have a problem with it, and the thing will run forever. Plus, it doesn't scream white trash or 16-year-old girl (unless you put a pink Roxy sticker in the rear window). When I told a buddy of mine I could fill the tank for $20 he looked at me like I had three nipples... on my face.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Hi, Jim.

6. Garner

Garner Member

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go solve another Rockford Files mystery.

7. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

A '76 Chrysler? What happened to the Firebird? Ah, Jimmy did you have another accident. Why don't I get you a nice truck-driving job?

8. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Hondas RULE. I shall never buy another brand.

9. Garner

Garner Member

hahaha My grandfather drove a truck for 40 years and his lower-lumbar support was terrible. Plus, I think it contributed to his sleep apnea, which led to his awful snoring, which kept the neighbors across the street awake all the time. That probably explains why he could never grow a decent garden.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Why would a "broke" person even consider buying a new car?

Get the Consumer Reports 2007 Buyers Guide and look at best used car values for whatever amount of money you're willing to spend. Then do it, mon.

11. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

I got a Mazda3 sport after my 1993 323 finally started to kick the bucket after 300,000 km (200,000 miles, I think).

Love Mazda. Love Honda. Love Toyota.

Hmm, there's a trend here but I can't quite put my finger on it.

12. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

It might be that his current "shitbox" isn't reliable enough to use for reporting.

Draft saved Draft deleted