1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking forward to that prime-time golf

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pendleton, Jun 12, 2008.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'm not a fan, and I don't even have a deadline or concerns about agate.

Ah, well, it's just going to be once a year now and then -- remember, Pebble Beach is coming, and Chambers Bay in Washington -- so I guess we live with it.

2. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Don't forget Olympic, SF.

In an amazing, head-spinning state worthy of Sybil, the West Coast is hosting three of the next five Opens -- counting this year's.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I know this sucks for the desk, but for the writers on site from the East, it's easier. US Open Saturdays were mega-first edition pressure when they ended between 7-8. Now, everybody knows they have to fill first somehow with plugs or whatever, and write gamers, notes, game columns, etc. for second.

4. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

I'm really surprised it took this long to get a tournament into prime time, and if it was going to be a major, I always figured it would be the PGA that would take the leap first.

5. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

No need for lights. It's just a matter of time before the USGA moves the Open to Japan or Australia to maximize primetime viewing opportunities.

6. derwood

derwood Active Member

Hawaii is more likely.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Now, to get Riviera into the mix ...

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

A-freakin'-men, Mile.

And it got very positive vibes after the '98 Senior Open, which went a long way in rehabilitating it from the greens debacle of the '95 PGA.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

uhhh, yeah, it is. It's the first place the golf fan is going to go in the morning -- the leaderboard.

10. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Especially happy about tonight's prime-time show, since our deadline got pushed up a half-hour because of the flooding. AP had better be quick with the agate.

11. Pendleton

Pendleton Member

Nice comeback by AP after the Thursday total fiasco

12. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

I feel for you all...that sucks.

But on a positive note - After what I saw tonight, my ass will be planted in front of the TV for sure tomorrow. What Tiger did was astonishing.

Draft saved Draft deleted