1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for South Texas weekly position

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help available' started by TexMike, Aug 25, 2011.

1. TexMike

TexMike New Member

I'm searching for a position for a Texas weekly in the Wharton County area to avoid driving far distances.

I have 27 years of writing, photography and layout experience. I was the sports editor of the Wharton Journal-Spectator, East Bernard Express and Bay City Tribune. I lost my job at the Bay City Tribune in February and have been out of work since.

I'm not willing to relocate to another part of the state since we own our home in the Wharton area.
    my email address is texmike@elc.net

2. Editude

Editude Active Member

Tex,

I feel bad for you. Losing a job is one of the worst things that can happen to a male. Being without one after several months might be even worse. But. You are severely limiting your prospects in a comatose field by saying you need to stay in your South Texas area. Houston and Victoria are an hour away, and those settings might have options. If so, pursue them with vigor. A friend (no, really, not me) has a similar situation in a much bigger place but because he can't/won't/doesn't want to move, he's barely hanging on. Being held hostage by a house is not uncommon in the post-boom market, but there are other houses, and renting is not a crime against humanity. Good luck.

Editude

3. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I know Victoria was hiring multiple positions in the spring. Might check with the Advocate to see how things are there.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Wrong board.

This board is for listing newspapers that are advertising openings.

Not really fair to let one person start begging for a job on here. If you did that, there could be thousands of posts like that on here.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Plus, editors aren't just handing jobs out. You have to do a little work yourself to find a paper. I can't be that hard to contact papers in your area.

6. Kmac7

Kmac7 Member

Pretty sure the guy is asking for someone to start up a newspaper in his area and hire him so he won't have to move.

7. I appreciate this man's bold move. You're hired.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Considering all the beggars who want journalists to work for free for their websites and promise wages based on page hits, phase of the moon or whatever ...

Draft saved Draft deleted